Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave knocks out

My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Since the GFCI outlet didn't trip, it's not a ground fault. The specs you
list don't exactly jibe as 700 watts @120 volts doesn't equal 10 amps, but
in any event it would appear you have a problem with the microwave, assuming
it is in fact a dedicated circuit. Try plugging a toaster or similar
appliance in that outlet and see if it works

"Anthona" wrote in message
ups.com...
My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Since the GFCI outlet didn't trip, it's not a ground fault. The specs you
list don't exactly jibe as 700 watts @120 volts doesn't equal 10 amps, but
in any event it would appear you have a problem with the microwave, assuming
it is in fact a dedicated circuit. Try plugging a toaster or similar
appliance in that outlet and see if it works

"Anthona" wrote in message
ups.com...
My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

I;m sorry, I left out the consumption power...its 1150 w. Well the oven
is working now after I tripped the fuse back on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the gfci may be rated higher than the breaker, otherwise it would act
like a breaker anyway.

check the rating on the GFCI

trip the GFCI and see what else doesn't work in the house (it should be
limited to the kitchen)

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Anthona wrote:
My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

If that is a 15 amp breaker and your microwave uses 1150W you are not
too far away from going over. A weak breaker or something else on the
circuit (yea I know you said it was a separate circuit, but .... ) could
trip it. I also could have been a one time thing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:43:13 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Since the GFCI outlet didn't trip, it's not a ground fault. The specs you
list don't exactly jibe as 700 watts @120 volts doesn't equal 10 amps, but
in any event it would appear you have a problem with the microwave, assuming
it is in fact a dedicated circuit. Try plugging a toaster or similar
appliance in that outlet and see if it works

The 700W is probably microwave output power, not consumption.

"Anthona" wrote in message
oups.com...
My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's a moot point in your case. All electrical devices like outlets and
switches are rated by the voltage and amperage they are limited to carry.
Most 15 amp outlets, including GFCI type are rated for 20 amp pass through
as they are often wired daisy chained. You would recognize a 20 amp outlet
two ways. One is that it would say 20 amp on it and second, it would have
one straight vertical slot and one sideways T slot, where a 15 amp outlet
would just have two vertical slots

"Anthona" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anthona wrote:
My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

How does one check the rating of a GFCI?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 9 Sep 2006 11:48:36 -0700, "Anthona" wrote:

My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

Wait until this happens a second or third time, and twice in less than
6 months, and then worry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

in a kitchen or other place that has a high inductive current usage a
GFCI is likly to trip due to resonance set up in the ground line. if it
was in a place with capacitive loads it's true that the GFCI wouldn't
trip due to loading.

RBM (remove this) wrote:
GFCI outlets do not act like a circuit breaker regardless of their amperage
rating
ups.com...

Anthona wrote:
My microwave is on a separate circuit with a outlet ( the type name
escapes me )...something fault or whatever. its white with a black and
red button. The specs of oven is 700watts, 120 v ac 60 hz, 10 amps.
Today, as reheating on high for 2 and 1/2 minutes, it conked out. This
never happened before. I pressed both buttons on the outlet which did
not seem to have any effect, so i had to go to the basement and reset
the fuse. Is there something wrong with the oven or the circuit?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"the gfci may be rated higher than the breaker, otherwise it would act
like a breaker anyway."

It will NOT

ups.com...

RBM (remove this) wrote:
GFCI outlets do not act like a circuit breaker regardless of their
amperage
rating
ups.com...