Posted to alt.home.repair
L L is offline

Default glass block install cost

Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my
basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor
will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block
windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for
windows and how much for install. They said the install is about
$2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed
a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any
advice.

thanks in advance,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"L" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my
basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor
will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block
windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for
windows and how much for install. They said the install is about
$2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed
a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any
advice.

16 man hours for $2600? That sounds very high to me. Half that would seem
about right.

You can also buy glass block sections that just have to be cemented in
place. May be much cheaper to DIY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:26:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Edwin
Pawlowski" quickly quoth:

"L" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my
basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor
will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block
windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for
windows and how much for install. They said the install is about
$2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed
a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any
advice.

16 man hours for $2600? That sounds very high to me. Half that would seem
about right.

No, it's 16 man-hours PLUS a couple sacks of -very- expensive Portland
cement PLUS nearly an hour to pick it all up at the supplier. thud

You can also buy glass block sections that just have to be cemented in
place. May be much cheaper to DIY.

Yes, about $2,500 cheaper if he had to buy pointing and trowel tools.
I'll bet the guy didn't want to do the job and just bid it at 5 times
his normal hourly rate. Crikey!

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to alt.home.repair

neighbors who have done this like the look from the outside but it
makes a very stuffy stale air basement in buffalo ny climate.
sometimes sealing the basement windows creates a problem of moisture
and ventilation, so first see:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...r_Renovate.pdf

L wrote:
Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my
basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor
will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block
windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for
windows and how much for install. They said the install is about
$2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed
a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any
advice.

thanks in advance,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't read through all the replies, so someone else may have suggested
this, but have you tried your local window place, we bought a 3'x6' glass
block window, wood frame and installed it ourselves, well, ourselves being
me and 3 neighbours to help carry it.

"L" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my
basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor
will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block
windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for
windows and how much for install. They said the install is about
$2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed
a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any
advice.

thanks in advance,

Posted to alt.home.repair

$3200.00 for 4 windows.......hell I have to raise my
prices..........this is cleary a case of I dont really want the job and
your gonna pay for it if I have to do it..Besides even just 4 windows 1
day is a bit optomistic Id steer clear of these guys.

Heck for 3200.00 you could get a killer alarm sylstem installed...for
that price it would probably come with a part time guard...
Get some other estimates or look into prefab block windows.

L wrote:
Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my
basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor
will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block
windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for
windows and how much for install. They said the install is about
$2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed
a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any
advice.

thanks in advance,

Posted to alt.home.repair
L L is offline

This price WAS for prefab windows from PPG. I called the "estimator"
salesperson and asked her to check the install price but she never
called back. Anyone know what a fair labor charge would be. This looks
like about $650.00 a window just to install.

Thanks

L wrote:
Hey y'all. I'm thinking about getting glass block windows for my
basement. I'm looking for security and waterproofing. The contractor
will remove the existing windows and frames and install new glass block
windows. I got a cost of $3200.00 for four windows. Iasked how much for
windows and how much for install. They said the install is about
$2600.00 of the total. Thats for two guys and one day. The cost seemed
a bit high to me so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any
advice.

thanks in advance,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"L" wrote in message
oups.com...
This price WAS for prefab windows from PPG. I called the "estimator"
salesperson and asked her to check the install price but she never
called back. Anyone know what a fair labor charge would be. This looks
like about $650.00 a window just to install.

Thanks

Depending on what exactly has to be done, $150 to $300. It has been many
ears since I've done one but from my experience in the past, that is a fair
charge for most jobs. With a little help, you can do it yourself.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to L, Sid Browning wrote:
I laid glass block for years. A typical 3'x4" window will cost in labor about
$600 per window.. and can cost more, depending on the access to the outside.
Seems like that price is pretty close to correct.. maybe even a good deal...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...st-144508-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 17:14:02 GMT, Sid Browning
m wrote:

replying to L, Sid Browning wrote:
I laid glass block for years. A typical 3'x4" window will cost in labor about
$600 per window.. and can cost more, depending on the access to the outside.
Seems like that price is pretty close to correct.. maybe even a good deal...

$20 a block? Yikes. I am in the wrong business. I laid up a 5x5 bay
window with corner blocks and a 1 block bump out in far less than a
day