Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Renting an AERATOR and OVERSEEDER/SLICE SEEDER

I am planning on overseeding my lawn this week and would like to rent
an AERATOR and an OVERSEEDER/SLICE SEEDER. I only need to do about
four thousand square feet

My first inclination was just to rent from the local Home Depot but
then I started wondering about whethere there are any differences in
quality and effectiviness.

So are there differences and features that I should be concerned
about?
For the relatively small lawn that I am doing is just going with the
Home Depot likely to be good enough or should I be looking at more
professional tool rental shops?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
No No is offline

blueman wrote:
I am planning on overseeding my lawn this week and would like to rent
an AERATOR and an OVERSEEDER/SLICE SEEDER. I only need to do about
four thousand square feet

My first inclination was just to rent from the local Home Depot but
then I started wondering about whethere there are any differences in
quality and effectiviness.

So are there differences and features that I should be concerned
about?
For the relatively small lawn that I am doing is just going with the
Home Depot likely to be good enough or should I be looking at more
professional tool rental shops?

I cant help you on pros cons of different machines. I curious as to what
climate zone you live in? Or at least what state. isn't it early to
overseed? I want to do the same but I was going to wait until Late
September, early October.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

I assume that you are talking about a core aerator. There are several
different styles of core aerators. The revolving drum style is the most
common, but it is also the most difficult to use. I don't know the name
of the other style.

Using the revolving drum aerator is a bit like your first experience using
a rototiller over a hard clay soil that has well established sod on top.
The machine tends to run away from you and it doesn't corner easily.

The approach which has worked well for me is a bit like the method
that I developed for using a riding mower. Operate the device in large,
overlapping ovals so that you are never (or seldom) turning sharp corners
and there definitely are no 180 turns. Even so, the tiller is going to
attempt to get away from you sometimes.

Just don't get over-confident. And remember that the machine will also
tend to run away from you anytime that it can't bite into the soil and it
tend to run over the top. The most frequent situation for this problem is
when you go over tree roots.

I had the device mastered rather quickly on my first rental, and my in-laws
say I ain't too bright. So you should do fine.

Good luck,
Gideon

blueman wrote

OT renting out a flat fred UK diy 19 March 27th 06 12:06 PM
OT Renting Out a Flat [email protected] UK diy 64 March 23rd 06 07:36 PM
Buy home and keep renting in the city nonbuyer Home Ownership 14 February 15th 06 03:21 PM
Renting a primary home, insurance and other questions. [email protected] Home Ownership 4 May 7th 05 02:10 AM
renting out room legal question Giles Harney Home Ownership 7 March 29th 05 05:41 PM