Posted to alt.home.repair

Default foundation or slab

Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small
utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay block and
pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour it on the
existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live in South
Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

markh

Posted to alt.home.repair

you should remove the topsoil, as any organic material will settle over
time. then, your slab should have a thickened edge. 10" is required
where I live, with 2 1/2" rebar around the perimeter. does it freeze
where you live? then you should add a layer of well drained sand under
the slab too.

mark henderson wrote:
Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small
utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay block and
pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour it on the
existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live in South
Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

markh

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mark henderson" wrote in message
Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a
small utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay
block and pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour
it on the existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live
in South Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

markh

Once again this is one of those questions that can only be answered by local
regulations.

Here anything less than 200 square feet does not have to meet building
codes. YMMV.

If I were building such a structure here, I would excavate the loose top
soil and pour a slab on the surface with a minimum dept of 4" and I would
try to get below the frost line for the perimeter.

On such a small structure, the frost line is not that important unless you
live in a very cold winter climate. Yours should be more temperate than mine
(USDA zone 6).

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:11:05 -0400, "mark henderson"
wrote:

Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small
utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay block and
pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour it on the
existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live in South
Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

Another option is to build it on four piers, whereby you rent
a gas-powered soil-auger, drill four 3' deep holes,
drop cardboard tubes down the holes, fill with concrete,
and stuff a stainless bracket at the top of each one.

Only downside is that puts the floor of the shed pretty
high up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mark henderson wrote:
Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small
utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay block and
pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour it on the
existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live in South
Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

markh

When you say utility building, do you mean thin sheet metal shed, or do
you mean framed 2x4 walls, drywall, etc? If its just a metal shed type
a 4" thick slab with a exterior footing 6" into grade(10" overall)
with some 6x6/10x10 wire mesh in the slab and a #4 rebar around the
footing will be ok. If you mean a real framed/roofed building, I would
make the footings 12" into grade, a #4 rebar top and bottom all the way
around the footing and you can still use 6x6/10x10 wire mesh in the 4"
thick slab.