Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine repair question

I'm not 100% sure this is the right newsgroup, but...

I've got a problem with my washing machine. After a week or so of
running it with the front panel off to visualize what's going on,
here's what I've found. The motor comes on as it should during the
spin cycle. However, periodically, though not every time, the motor
pulley will spin, but just slips around the belt. If I manually move
the belt, and all the connected pulleys, then turn it back on, it works
for a few loads until it starts slipping around the belt again.

This explains why the thing smells of rubber when it fails. But the
belt is intact. What would cause it to slip at the motor pulley?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dolfantimmy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm not 100% sure this is the right newsgroup, but...

I've got a problem with my washing machine. After a week or so of
running it with the front panel off to visualize what's going on,
here's what I've found. The motor comes on as it should during the
spin cycle. However, periodically, though not every time, the motor
pulley will spin, but just slips around the belt. If I manually move
the belt, and all the connected pulleys, then turn it back on, it works
for a few loads until it starts slipping around the belt again.

This explains why the thing smells of rubber when it fails. But the
belt is intact. What would cause it to slip at the motor pulley?

The belt is loose, or something else is freezing up - probably the pump.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

The belt is sufficiently tight and I can move the pump/belt fairly easy
with my hand.

I'll replace the belt and see.

Thanks

Bob F wrote:
"dolfantimmy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm not 100% sure this is the right newsgroup, but...

I've got a problem with my washing machine. After a week or so of
running it with the front panel off to visualize what's going on,
here's what I've found. The motor comes on as it should during the
spin cycle. However, periodically, though not every time, the motor
pulley will spin, but just slips around the belt. If I manually move
the belt, and all the connected pulleys, then turn it back on, it works
for a few loads until it starts slipping around the belt again.

This explains why the thing smells of rubber when it fails. But the
belt is intact. What would cause it to slip at the motor pulley?

The belt is loose, or something else is freezing up - probably the pump.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

the belt is supposed to slip some when all is right... but if that
belts worn ten you can get that problem. be sure to get the right belt
replacement or your machine may set a new spin record speed. lucas