Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage Disposal Leak/Loosens up

This is becoming a too frequent issue. The hand tightened white
plumbing connection to the drain pipe that came with the disposal
loosens up, slides down and leaks and sometimes we have the whole
beneath the sink splattered with water and debris.

I have been to several local home improvement stores and the responses
have ranged from that should not happen to just a deer in the head
light blank stare to aiding in the training of new associates with the
age old ---"sir, I do not work in this department, let me get someone
who does".

My thoughts? The plastic drain piece coming out of the garbage
disposal curves down as I guess it should (not an expert on disposal
plumbing anatomy) but that is it ---it curves. It has never been cut to
shorten the length and in my opinion the end I slide the drain pipe on
should have more straight length. Because there is very little
staright portion to slide the drain pipe on the drain piple hand
tightens curve of the garbabe disposal drain. The other thought is
the garbage disposal vibrates and vibrates the hand tightened piece off
and voila yukfest underneath the sink.

I really want to add an exentension to the garbage disposal drain and
glue the extension on. BUT-----that means glueing and dealing with
the very sharp curve in the garbage drain pipe. Lookforward to your
help.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

kevin wrote:

This is becoming a too frequent issue. The hand tightened white
plumbing connection to the drain pipe that came with the disposal
loosens up, slides down and leaks and sometimes we have the whole
beneath the sink splattered with water and debris.

I have been to several local home improvement stores and the responses
have ranged from that should not happen to just a deer in the head
light blank stare to aiding in the training of new associates with the
age old ---"sir, I do not work in this department, let me get someone
who does".

My thoughts? The plastic drain piece coming out of the garbage
disposal curves down as I guess it should (not an expert on disposal
plumbing anatomy) but that is it ---it curves. It has never been cut to
shorten the length and in my opinion the end I slide the drain pipe on
should have more straight length.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but....

What do you mean by "slide the drain pipe on" Usually the garbage
disposer out let goes "into" a drain pipe.

Because there is very little
staright portion to slide the drain pipe on the drain piple hand
tightens curve of the garbabe disposal drain.

Are there some words missing there? It doesn't quite make sense to me.

The other thought is
the garbage disposal vibrates and vibrates the hand tightened piece off
and voila yukfest underneath the sink.

I really want to add an exentension to the garbage disposal drain and
glue the extension on. BUT-----that means glueing and dealing with
the very sharp curve in the garbage drain pipe. Lookforward to your
help.

Again, which parts are you trying to describe? The word "drain" is
usually used in reference to the parts which remain under the sink if
you remove the garbage disposer.

Can you post a photo of what the pieces look like and put a link to it
in a post here.

It sounds like you may need to extend the drain fitting UP, and not the
disposer outlet DOWN.

Thanks

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try going to the disposal manufacturers websites and looking at the
install instructions and pics. Actually you could also try any other
manufacturers site, as they pretty much share common install settups.
It sounds like something is very wrong here, not installed correctly
and it's likely a simple fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"kevin" wrote in message

My thoughts? The plastic drain piece coming out of the garbage
disposal curves down as I guess it should (not an expert on disposal
plumbing anatomy) but that is it ---it curves. It has never been cut to
shorten the length and in my opinion the end I slide the drain pipe on
should have more straight length.

There should be enough material to make a good connection. As long as the
nut tightens securely, that is all the length you need. Less than an inch
can work.

Because there is very little
staright portion to slide the drain pipe on the drain piple hand
tightens curve of the garbabe disposal drain. The other thought is
the garbage disposal vibrates and vibrates the hand tightened piece off
and voila yukfest underneath the sink.

How little is very little? If the part was 6" longer, it would not grip any
better as long as there is enough for the gasket to grab. Do you have the
proper fitting and gasket on the drain line? Is the drain line long enough
to reach the disposal?

I really want to add an exentension to the garbage disposal drain and
glue the extension on. BUT-----that means glueing and dealing with
the very sharp curve in the garbage drain pipe. Lookforward to your
help.

You are blaming the disposal for not reaching the drain, but it seems that
possibly the drain is not meeting the disposal. You can cut and put a
longer section in, using a coupling. Drains have almost no pressure in them
so it is fairly easy to work with them. Is the drain line easily moved or
is it properly supported? If you reverse your thinking from focus on the
disposal to focus on the drain line, I'd bet you can solve the problem
easily. Well not that easily because sometime working under a sink can be a
real PITA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Sep 2006 10:18:55 -0700, "kevin" wrote:

This is becoming a too frequent issue. The hand tightened white
plumbing connection to the drain pipe that came with the disposal
loosens up, slides down and leaks and sometimes we have the whole
beneath the sink splattered with water and debris.

Do you have the clear/white vinyl "thing" on the pipe, before you hand
tighten the pipes? It compresses/seal when the pipes are connected. If
it is missing, damage or the wrong size the pipes can leak.

My thoughts? The plastic drain piece coming out of the garbage
disposal curves down as I guess it should (not an expert on disposal
plumbing anatomy) but that is it ---it curves. It has never been cut to

The disposal drain pipe should slant down towards the trap. This
prevents water from re-entering the disposal via the dishwasher or
sink drain. (more yuck). I like the pipes to fit nice so when I do
tighten there is no binding or difficulty.

shorten the length and in my opinion the end I slide the drain pipe on
should have more straight length. Because there is very little
staright portion to slide the drain pipe on the drain piple hand
tightens curve of the garbabe disposal drain. The other thought is
the garbage disposal vibrates and vibrates the hand tightened piece off
and voila yukfest underneath the sink.

Loosen the disposal from the sink a little and try to re-seat it and
see if that helps reduce the vibration.

I really want to add an exentension to the garbage disposal drain and
glue the extension on. BUT-----that means glueing and dealing with
the very sharp curve in the garbage drain pipe. Lookforward to your
help.

Thanks

Oren