Posted to alt.home.repair

Default suspended ceiling / fire code

Greetings,

Is a suspended ceiling allowed below the joists with no drywall or
other fire protection in a single family residential home? Are bare
joists allowed with no drywall or suspended ceiling tiles?

Thanks,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Is a suspended ceiling allowed below the joists with no drywall or
other fire protection in a single family residential home? Are bare
joists allowed with no drywall or suspended ceiling tiles?

I've been in literally hundreds of homes that have one or both of those
scenarios, including my own. That does not mean there is some local code
that does not permit it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 4 Sep 2006 13:55:34 -0700, "
wrote:

Greetings,

Is a suspended ceiling allowed below the joists with no drywall or
other fire protection in a single family residential home? Are bare
joists allowed with no drywall or suspended ceiling tiles?

I can't answer your question, but the situation you describe was the
prime reason for suspended ceilings. At least in basements, and in
office buildings where there was a cement ceiling but cluttered with
ugly things underneath.

That doesn't mean it's legal in all states and towns in all
situations. That's still for you to find out.

Thanks,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I can't answer your question, but the situation you describe was the
prime reason for suspended ceilings. At least in basements, and in
office buildings where there was a cement ceiling but cluttered with
ugly things underneath.

In commercial buildings, there is a restriction about sprinklers. The
sprinkler heads must be below hte ceiling, or the ceiling tiles must be
"drop out" tiles that will melt from the heat of a fire. Most often, the
are made from foam board that has a fire retardant in it.