Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moth ball question

Last summer, we had a chipmunk make a home in the wall of our summer cabin.
We went to the local ACE to ask what to put in there to drive him out. It
was WAY at the top of a 16' ladder to get to the opening. They said put in
mothballs. Well, my wife must have bought 25# of mothballs. I put a lot in
there.

Fast forward. At the beginning of this spring, I got on climbing gear and
went up and put sheet metal over three or four holes. No more chipmunks.
Now only the scent of mothballs.

How long does it take for mothballs to quit stinking? When we go up to the
cabin, you can smell it when you first walk in. Then, I guess you get used
to it or it anesthetizes your nose.

I have thought of pulling a couple of boards (not an easy thing) to get to
the mothballs, but am not sure I could get to them all even then.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

How long does it take for mothballs to quit stinking?

As long as they exist, they will smell. They will gradually sublime
(change to a gas which is what you smell) but how long before they
totally disappear I cannot guess. It would depend on air flow to some
extent I would think.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

The smell until they are gone. They are slowly evaporating.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:39:28 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Well, shoving a hair-dryer in there will cause them to sublimate much
faster, but I don't know how combustable the resulting gas is, in
concentration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Moth ball question

wrote:

[...]

I had to attend "ground school" when I was learning to fly. The
instructor was talking about freezing being what happens when a liquid
(water) turns into a solid (ice). He asked for an example of something
that sublimes-- turns directly from a solid to a gas. A muffled answer
came from the back row, "tacos".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, now I have to clean Miller beer from my monitor!!

Have a good one!

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B writes:

They said put in mothballs.

The sad thing is, not only have you polluted your house with a foul odor
and carcinogen, the evidence is that it doesn't even repel animals. It's a
myth.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Steve B writes:

They said put in mothballs.

The sad thing is, not only have you polluted your house with a foul odor
and carcinogen, the evidence is that it doesn't even repel animals. It's a
myth.

The homeowners are animals, and it is repeling them.

Bob

Replacing ball valves [email protected] UK diy 1 September 5th 06 07:13 PM
Ball Bearing Question Steve B Metalworking 4 January 8th 06 05:34 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
CNC Lathe question Todd Rearick Metalworking 5 August 13th 04 03:12 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM