Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cat Spray

This newsgroup was recommended to me by a very helpful person in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav. TIA to anyone with experience with this
sort of problem and can share it...

I have a 55 year old house with plaster and lathe walls and hardwood
floors that have for the first time been refinished. I'm replacing
molding and want to do the best I can to remove the smell from a male
cat that sprayed in a corner repeatedly. The smell is particularly
pungent now that the old molding has been removed, and it seems to not
only have soaked into the hardwood floor which is now refinished and
sealed with poly, but the bottom frame for the lathe and plaster wall is
soaked with the spray, as well as whatever surfaces between the flooring
and wall it found its way to...

I know there are some enzymes that work pretty well to neutralize the
smell but once this stuff soaks into wood I'm assuming the wood should
either be sealed or replaced. Anyone ever have an experience with a
problem like this?

Thanks again

bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had good luck with a similar issue sealing with Z Prime. Zinzers
primer also would work . Just make sure you buy the High octane oil
based stuff not the latex. It's more expensive and smell but it works.
The latex stuff is no better than paint in my opinion.

Robert Berg wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your expertise on the subject of primers/sealers, Jack...
Went out and bought some of the oil based stuff in a spray can - I'm
going to spray into the spaces I can't otherwise get to, let it dry
completely, fill the spaces with great stuff, and then prime/seal again
before I put the base and toe on. I'll let you know how it works...

bob

Robert Berg wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Had a entire urine soaked smelly house

Bin or Kilz oil based primer sealer.

You CANT remove the smell, you seal it in so its undetectable. 2 coats
to be safe

ANYTHING ELSE WOULDNT WORK!