DIYbanter

DIYbanter (http://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Home Repair (http://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/)
-   -   Bypassing Electric Meter (http://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/174262-bypassing-electric-meter.html)

Al Moran August 30th 06 06:02 AM

Bypassing Electric Meter

Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Tony Hwang August 30th 06 06:13 AM

Bypassing Electric Meter

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Hi,
It's very easy but illegal. Just need a little jumper wire.

komobu August 30th 06 06:17 AM

Bypassing Electric Meter

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

In Virginia, it is pretty easy. My house had aluminum wiring, and I
replaced the whole electrical system with copper. Anyways, there is a
security seal at the bottom of the meter box. When it is removed, a
cover hinges up and the Glass meter can be pulled straight out. Then
you will be looking at 4 prongs. The top two prongs go to the power
pole. The bottom two go to the hous circut breaker box. (I had to
replace this wire to the breaker box in my house). Anyways, you could
jump the prongs rather easily with copper wire. It would help if you
knew when the meter reader was coming around so you could place the
glass meter back in. If you took the time with the security seal, the
reader would probably never notice it....he just takes the numbers down
and move to the next house.

pipedown August 30th 06 06:50 AM

Bypassing Electric Meter

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Hi,
It's very easy but illegal. Just need a little jumper wire.

And with some meters if you plug it in backwards, it runs backwards.

Their software would flag an existing customer with extreme variations in
usage as this could indicate a problem with equipment requiring a look but a
new customer might go unnoticed with unlikely usage. Steal enough
electricity and it becomes a Felony.

Indoor pot farmers are often busted either by the electric usage pattern or
by causing fires while ignoring electrical code. Narcing neighbors too.

Al Moran August 30th 06 01:24 PM

Bypassing Electric Meter

On 29 Aug 2006 21:17:09 -0700, "komobu" wrote:

In Virginia, it is pretty easy. My house had aluminum wiring, and I
replaced the whole electrical system with copper. Anyways, there is a
security seal at the bottom of the meter box. When it is removed, a
cover hinges up and the Glass meter can be pulled straight out. Then
you will be looking at 4 prongs. The top two prongs go to the power
pole. The bottom two go to the hous circut breaker box. (I had to
replace this wire to the breaker box in my house). Anyways, you could
jump the prongs rather easily with copper wire. It would help if you
knew when the meter reader was coming around so you could place the
glass meter back in. If you took the time with the security seal, the
reader would probably never notice it....he just takes the numbers down
and move to the next house.

But what I don't get is that at least one set of the prongs must be
hot. How would they connect anything to it without getting zapped
?

Joseph Meehan August 30th 06 01:41 PM

Bypassing Electric Meter

Al Moran wrote:
[...]

Very carefully. Yea, I have done it, (with the electric company's
blessing) . I don't suggest anyone who has to ask how consider doing it as
missing one step could be your last one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Al Moran August 30th 06 02:37 PM

Bypassing Electric Meter

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:41:54 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Very carefully. Yea, I have done it, (with the electric company's
blessing) . I don't suggest anyone who has to ask how consider doing it as
missing one step could be your last one.

I have no intentions of trying it. Just curious how you would do it
and still be alive to talk about it.

komobu August 30th 06 02:45 PM

Bypassing Electric Meter

But what I don't get is that at least one set of the prongs must be
hot. How would they connect anything to it without getting zapped
?

Actually, both legs are hot. Each leg is 110v, so together you get 220v
service. The third leg goes straigt to the circuit panel and that is
the return, so for 110v, you are using one of the legs and the return.

Anyways, if your jumper is plastic sheilded you would be alright, or if
you wear ruber or leather gloves. Another very common senario is that
theives steel the glass meter from a vacant property. Then they simply
swap meters. The stolen meter would be used for two to three weeks, and
then swapped again until the meter reader comes by. This way all the
time that electricity is being used while the stolen meter is inplace,
is not being charged to the occupyer. If one does that for 15 to 22
days a month, it results in in 50% to 75% of the electrical usage not
appearing on his bill.

Jack August 30th 06 03:51 PM

Bypassing Electric Meter

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Now that some companys use the latest tech of remote meter reading
tampering with the meter could go on for quite awhile, before the
electric company became aware of it. Usually when they are caught the
judges are not very lenient in the sentence. You steal you Pay.
Jack

HeyBub August 30th 06 04:27 PM

Bypassing Electric Meter

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Heh!

When doing a census for a Rural Electric Co-op, we found more than one
person who had bought their own TRANSFORMER and tapped into the 7,200 volt
mains.

Look, if a lineman can fiddle with umpty-ump volts on the job, he can
certainly do it off the clock.