Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pennies in the Fuse Box

How come this ain't working!

I put a penny behind a blown fuse but it still doesn't work

meanwhile, I bought some more 15 amp fuses, they are working fine

thing is.. I know this fuse socket! I know what is on it...
I know a 20 amp fuse will hold it for years.. I just know this...

yesterday I added an AC to my house... it blew my last 20 amp fuse

I got the new AC settled on a seperate fuse.. that part is done

meanwhile back to my old 20 amp fuse line...
it keeps popping my 15 amp fuses...

can't I just put a penny behind the old 20 amp fuse

i mean, I know what is on that fuse...

should I up my insurance before I do this?
--

my fuse box look like this

two pull out breakers.. each has two tube fuses in the pullout
each pull-out has 2 sockets under them, each socket holds a fuse see..

what kind of setup is this...

In testing my penny trick.. i pulled the pull out box before doing
it...
but discovered that the plug in or screw in fuses are still HOT
one of the two was still in, I backed the remaining out, and sure
enough
the fridge cut off.. so I know they sockets are still hot even with the
pull-out pulled

I thought the pullouts manned the sockets?

I thought all current passed through those tubes before it gets to the
sockets!

I figure if 20 amp has held for a year, and I haven't changed my
usage...
a penny should be fine without fear of overheating the wires

I KNOW A 20 AMP WILL HOLD MY NEEDS SEE....
--
one other thing...

under the other pullout fuse... one of the two screw in fuse sockets
has a broken fuse left in it...

how can i get the remaining fuse out of the receptacle without getting
shocked
evidently pulling the pull-out is not enough...

it's like when a light bulb breaks leaving the screw in part up in the
receptacle

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
hah hah is offline

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:47:26 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

I think the calculated load is to great for a penny. Maybe you need to try a
nickel?

Try an Aluminum penny. Add a couple of pieces of conductive rice if
necessary.

"yeeha" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeeha wrote:

[...]

I'd head for your doctor fast.

From your descriptions and questions it sounds to me like your entire
alimentary tract has somehow gotten reversed.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Don't screw anything in the plug fuse sockets but proper sized fuses. The
two pullouts probably have something written on them like: Range and Main,
the one that says "main" when pulled should kill power to all four plug
fuses below

"yeeha" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'd head for your doctor fast.

From your descriptions and questions it sounds to me like your entire
alimentary tract has somehow gotten reversed.

sniffing my middle finger...

no! .. it's not ****

this new pack of 15a fuses are holding up good so far
it's the new style with a time delay.. vs the old glass ones i burnt up
last night

sniifing my first two fingers

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Don't screw anything in the plug fuse sockets but proper sized fuses. The
two pullouts probably have something written on them like: Range and Main,
the one that says "main" when pulled should kill power to all four plug
fuses below

the two pullouts don't have any writing, but im sure you're right

this gives me confidence to pull the two pullouts... then remove the
remaining threads from the broken fuse...

me and electricity don't get along

I've had 440 go through me one time...

it shuddered my whole body for about what felt like.. 4-6 seconds...
my whole life flashed before my eyes...

my ring burnt my finger during that surge, my necklace burnt my neck...
that sort of heat...

but since that day.. I stopped hearing voices

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeeha wrote:
How come this ain't working!

Because it is the weekend and you are out of school again.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:55:58 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

yeeha wrote:
How come this ain't working!

Because it is the weekend and you are out of school again.

He's a "pyro", building a weapon of mass destruction.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
yeeha wrote:
[...]

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to alt.home.repair
LJ LJ is offline

If you are stupid enough to use a penny instead of replacing the
fuse....you are an idiot or a troll.

Fuses have a purpose...they are designed to blow before the wiring
melts.

Bypass the fuse, you'll get melted wiring & a fire. It's that simple.

On 26 Aug 2006 08:38:48 -0700, "yeeha" wrote:

How come this ain't working!

I put a penny behind a blown fuse but it still doesn't work

meanwhile, I bought some more 15 amp fuses, they are working fine

thing is.. I know this fuse socket! I know what is on it...
I know a 20 amp fuse will hold it for years.. I just know this...

snip

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeeha wrote:
RBM (remove this) wrote:
Don't screw anything in the plug fuse sockets but proper sized fuses. The
two pullouts probably have something written on them like: Range and Main,
the one that says "main" when pulled should kill power to all four plug
fuses below

the two pullouts don't have any writing, but im sure you're right

this gives me confidence to pull the two pullouts... then remove the
remaining threads from the broken fuse...

me and electricity don't get along

I've had 440 go through me one time...

it shuddered my whole body for about what felt like.. 4-6 seconds...
my whole life flashed before my eyes...

my ring burnt my finger during that surge, my necklace burnt my neck...
that sort of heat...

but since that day.. I stopped hearing voices

BEFORE you go messing with the broken fuse, connect a wire to a good
ground like the shell of the main panel, pull the main and then MAKE
certain its dead, preferably with a meter but if not put the grounded
wire to the center of the fuse and look for sparks.

I had a fuse box that pulling main did NOT kill all the fuses

ended up pulling the meter to get the broken fuse out.

some will certinally say shorting to the fuse is wrong, but this PROVES
it dead and is way better than getting shocked!

right now I have a meter that isnt working all the time with such a
meter checking for power at the fuse could lead to a deadly wrong
conclusion.

I have gotten wrapped so much over the years I dont usually get upset,
but do TRY to avoid it!

One fine day I leaned on a steam radiator to pull a plug on a radio, So
I could plug in the jammed copier.... I was there to fix it....

Next thing I knew I was on the floor across the room

Idiot customer noticed radio power plug was bad and wrapped masking
tape around wires

By the time I touched it and couldnt see it buried behind stuff, the
masking tape had dried out and mostly fallen off.

I took the radio masking tape and all to the principal and reported
what happened and pointed out a student could of been killed! Then cut
the power plug off the radio so no one else got hit.... while the
principal watched...

Across my heat with that good ground it was a close thing.

I avoid touching any grounded things whenever possible.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

LJ wrote:
If you are stupid enough to use a penny instead of replacing the
fuse....you are an idiot or a troll.

It a school age troll. Not even a very good one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

LJ wrote:
If you are stupid enough to use a penny instead of replacing the
fuse....you are an idiot or a troll.

Fuses have a purpose...they are designed to blow before the wiring
melts.

pfft! you're the same one with the jerri rigged fence?

roflmao

Posted to alt.home.repair

LJ wrote:
If you are stupid enough to use a penny instead of replacing the
fuse....you are an idiot or a troll.

and for the record?

YES if that was all I had and wanted to say.. make me an espresso?

YES a penny it is..

how the bleep would I melt a wire running an espresso maker on a fused
penny rig?

exactly how many amps does it take to make hot water

all I wanted was coffee and email

I PLUGGED THE FUSE IN WITH THE PENNY STUCK TO IT
I used lithium thermal grease to make it stick long enough to screw it
in.
lmao

BUT THE DAng THANG DIDN'T WORK NO WAY

so I re-arranged my panel today...

now my ac and pc is on a 40 amp fuse!

BURN BABY BURN!

THE ROOF
THE ROOF
THE ROOF IS ON FIRE

I can't figure why it did not work
I should have been able to make it work

what it it was zero degree weather out, and the roads were covered in
ice
suppose that fuse ran my only heater...

people need to learn how things work, so they can make things work when
things dont work like their supposed to

what would mcguyver do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"yeeha" wrote in news:1156606728.821790.164600@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Of course you are just jerking around about the penny (I hope, or you
have "issues"). But my grandfather used to do this in boxes with glass
fuses and cloth covered wire. We were lil tykes but me and bro recall
laughing our asses off when he took a jolt and flew back a bit.

Poor gramps. Just tryin to spend a penny to save a nickel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:

Of course you are just jerking around about the penny (I hope, or you
have "issues").

yes of course I am

looking around casually

IM NOT JERKING WAS I SUPPOSED TO GET SHOCKED?

OMG!

ONLY ON USENET!

top quality entertainment

But my grandfather used to do this in boxes with glass
fuses and cloth covered wire. We were lil tykes but me and bro recall
laughing our asses off when he took a jolt and flew back a bit.

Poor gramps. Just tryin to spend a penny to save a nickel.

nothing like a few wraps to straighten a fella out

Posted to alt.home.repair

since were on this fuse thing...

many years ago I was at battleship cove with my brother and some
friends, including my old electronics instructor

anyhow wqe all walked in this compartment and I noticed a old fuse box
with its fuse door removed...

fuse out I figured it MUST be safe, they wouldnt leave such a hazard
exposed, so I did what I always wanted to do and touched the base
contact

Dumb move it was LIVE 440 Volts!

I flew out the door bacxkwards, my friends howled in laughter!

About this time the maintence guy walked in and asked whats up

He had removed the fuse to do some work in another compartment Fuse
door cover permanetely missing

He said be careful doint touch stuff you can get killed on this ship!

To this day those who were there talk about my poor move

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeeha wrote:
LJ wrote:
If you are stupid enough to use a penny instead of replacing the
fuse....you are an idiot or a troll.

and for the record?

YES if that was all I had and wanted to say.. make me an espresso?

YES a penny it is..

how the bleep would I melt a wire running an espresso maker on a fused
penny rig?

snip

How? You are so smart you should be able to figure that out. It is
simple. It is not the load you think you are pulling that is blowing
the fuse. You have a short that is pulling way more than your espresso
machine somewhere in that circuit or the machine itself is shorted.
Not to worry tho, the penny should fix it, after all when the house
burns down, re-wiring is simple.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bah Humbig. Get fusebox replaced with breakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

How? You are so smart you should be able to figure that out. It is
simple. It is not the load you think you are pulling that is blowing
the fuse.

Here is what is on one fuse

I need to make myself a map, I think I can distribute the load better

1 a/c (110)
2 large crt monitors
2 lamps @ 60 watt
one large console tv
one stereo that pushes 300 watts of sound
a vcr
a toner copier (sometimes)
chordless phone
one 500 watt power supply for the computer

i think that's it.

however, when i put a new ac in the back bedroom... I took a chance
with the nearest plug...(not wanting to run an extension chord to make
use of it see)

I didn't think 20 amps would hold 2 ac's, but I wasn't sure if that
socket was on the same fuse.. just trial and error... but it was the
same fuse..

I got my old setup above resolved with a 45 amp fuse...
but Im not fearful..

1. 20 amps carried these things for some time with no problem
2. I am still under 20 amps (even though the fuse is 45amps)

I still got room to grow on that fuse..
just plug stuff in till it busts then you know it's capacity

but that's just my logic, I could be wrong

but for the new ac... I just ran a 100' med duty extension chord. to
the next socket 15 feet away

OH HECK NO! the chord got hot inside of 5 mins... suuuuu-mo-kin
I knew that would happen, but wanted to tax the fuse box before I went
to lowes.

short story...

I cut 85' off of the med duty extension chord, works fine with no heat

Posted to alt.home.repair
LJ LJ is offline

pfft! There's a big difference between a jerri-rigged eyesore and a
jerri-rigged fire hazard.

On 26 Aug 2006 20:33:12 -0700, "yeeha" wrote:

pfft! you're the same one with the jerri rigged fence?

roflmao

Posted to alt.home.repair

fuse boxes arent code approived anymore because too many just upsized
fuses or worse used a penny..........

laws are made for good reasons

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenny?

Is that really you?

I recall when you cut the end off the extension cord and connected it to the
TV antenna terminals after you saw that whole house wiring antenna
advertised ov TV.

I see you haven't changed a bit.

How you been getting along?

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ive been keeping a check on the fuse panel
the main breaker is warm, but noways near close enough to start a fire

the hazard isnt the main breaker box, its the line leading to the
outlet, which might cause a fire at any time.

hpomeowners insurance wouldnt pay for rebuilding after seeing your
internet posts and penny in the box.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

it's alright i got marshmellows

wrote:
the hazard isnt the main breaker box, its the line leading to the
outlet, which might cause a fire at any time.

don't be silly

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
Kenny?