Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing leaks in evaporative cooler pan/tray

The cooler on the roof of my trailer works fine, but the pan/tray
underneath it has many holes, some big enough to put my finger through.
I tried fixing it by applying the stuff that is sold to repair such
leaks (something like tar) to the metal and then binding it together by
covering it with plastic screening. That didn't work. I guess the
problem is really twofold: First, finding all of the leaks, and then
patching them. Any ideas? Oh, replacing the entire pan/tray with a new
one would seem to be the perfect solution, but I haven't seen such
parts available on the Internet. Can they be purchased separately?

Warren

Posted to alt.home.repair

they make a plastic insert for these that just slides in. I suppose you
could try a piece of plexy glass cut to the dimentions of the pan and
then tar the edges really well. The question is...given the condition
of the rest of the cooler is the pan replacment worth it? I know once
those things go the whole thing isnt far behind?
wrote:
The cooler on the roof of my trailer works fine, but the pan/tray
underneath it has many holes, some big enough to put my finger through.
I tried fixing it by applying the stuff that is sold to repair such
leaks (something like tar) to the metal and then binding it together by
covering it with plastic screening. That didn't work. I guess the
problem is really twofold: First, finding all of the leaks, and then
patching them. Any ideas? Oh, replacing the entire pan/tray with a new
one would seem to be the perfect solution, but I haven't seen such
parts available on the Internet. Can they be purchased separately?

Warren

Posted to alt.home.repair

To replace the pan (bottom), it has to be a replacable pan. To determine if
it is, see if it is bolted to the upright supports. If there are no screws
or bolts it is not replaceable. If there are, then try to find out who the
manufacturer isand contact them for the replacement pan.

If you can't find a drop-in pan liner from a local store (they are getting
harder to find), try a piece of sheetmetal or rigid fiberglass. Seal
around the edges with a "plumbers epoxy" putty. If you put the patch on
the inside you will have to clean the pan where patch edges will be so the
epoxy will stick. To cut a hole for the overflow tube, use a hammer and
chisel or screwdriver and punch around the area where the hole needs to
be. Seal this hole with epoxy putty.

To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit:
www.easycoolercare.com

Larry Galpin
The Cooler Doctor

Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save
$100s Every Year!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to nikurashi, Roger wrote:
Try using a small section of rubber pond or pool membrane ..
Check out your local pool supply...the May have some small prices of rubber
liner that you can make a custom liner ...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ay-140899-.htm