Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener chain

Hello all,

I'm betting this will be an easy one for this group.

I've got an old garage door opener that's been working fine for years,
but the chain broke.

How do I fix it?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"paps" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I'm betting this will be an easy one for this group.

I've got an old garage door opener that's been working fine for years,
but the chain broke.

How do I fix it?

The chain may be the same size as a bicycle. In that case, you buy a link
made for repairing chains You may have to hammer a pin out of hte old one
for it to fit in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"paps" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I'm betting this will be an easy one for this group.

I've got an old garage door opener that's been working fine for
years, but the chain broke.

How do I fix it?

The chain may be the same size as a bicycle. In that case, you buy a
link made for repairing chains You may have to hammer a pin out of
hte old one for it to fit in.

If it is the same as a bicycle, you would use a chain tool, not a hammer.
The chain tool may be able to remove the bad link and reconnect the chain
together. Seems odd though that the chain broke. Are you sure your
springs are adjusted correctly so that the opener only guides the door and
doesn't need to move the full weight of the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"paps" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I'm betting this will be an easy one for this group.

I've got an old garage door opener that's been working fine for
years, but the chain broke.

How do I fix it?

The chain may be the same size as a bicycle. In that case, you buy a
link made for repairing chains You may have to hammer a pin out of
hte old one for it to fit in.

If it is the same as a bicycle, you would use a chain tool, not a hammer.
The chain tool may be able to remove the bad link and reconnect the chain
together. Seems odd though that the chain broke. Are you sure your
springs are adjusted correctly so that the opener only guides the door and
doesn't need to move the full weight of the door.

Thanks! I'll try the bicycle chain repair approach. I don't know if
the springs are adjusted properly. How do I do that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"paps" wrote in
oups.com:

"paps" wrote in message
[...]

If you disengage the opener from the door, is it very heavey to lift? If
the springs are set correctly, you should be able to open/close the door
with one hand without straining yourself. If the door won't stay down,
then the springs are too tight. If too heavey to open, then they are too
loose. Adjusting the springs will depend on what type they are. It can
be a dangerous task so be careful (or hire an expert, once you've
determined that they are not in correct adjustment).