Posted to alt.home.repair

Default help with drain connection?

I just connected new sink, new garbage disposal, and old drain together. I
didn't even put in the nuts yet. Could someone tell me if there is any code
violation (california) before I fasten them together?
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/990857

There is a 45 degree bend between the drain (metal pipe in the wall) and the
J trap. This is added so that the T is not too close to the sink drain to
allow space for the 90 degree elbow.

BTW, what kind of fitting should I use between the metal pipe and the
plastic pipe for watertight connection? The rest of the plastic pipes use
compression fittings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "John" wrote:
I just connected new sink, new garbage disposal, and old drain together. I
didn't even put in the nuts yet. Could someone tell me if there is any code
violation (california) before I fasten them together?
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/990857

I'm about to embark upon a similar project.

Is that a dishwasher hose connecting to the garbage disposal?
If so, you need an air gap in that line per CA code. Can't
really tell from the pic but it seems unlikely you have one
given that the hose appears to feed from below.

Even if you decide to disregard that code (I considered it)
the hose should have a loop extending as high as possible.
You don't want a blockage resulting in waste water flowing
back into the dishwasher.

You might also check that the (white) plastic pipe is going
to handle *hot* (potentially near boiling) water. I'm planning
to use (black) ABS pipe for that reason.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |