DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/173446-fence-posts-quick-dry-cement-rainy-weather.html)

webmz August 23rd 06 02:14 AM

fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

Hello,

I need to install some fence posts.

I'm in Florida and we're in hurricane season.
That means it rains almost every day, when the weather man is right.
Or the weather report says we'll have scattered showers for 4-5 days
and that will occur , or depending on where you are located
it could rain every evening, or afternoon, but not all day .
[my point is, it might rain, it might not]

I was considering using a fast drying product like QUIKRETE®
Fast-Setting Concrete or Pakmix Fence Post Mix with PakMix fast setting
accelerator .
In the hopes of setting the posts in the holes when it isn't raining ,
pouring the concrete, & it will dry as it says it will quickly.

[I'm not attaching the fence for a few days until the posts are
secured]

My questions:
1) if the product says it sets in 20 minutes, does that mean if it
starts
raining later that day, it will be ok ?

2) the ground is wet around here.
Is that going to compromise the drying of the cement or the anchoring
of the posts?

what is the easiest product to use, for quick drying cement for the
purpose of fence posts.?

The posts that were previously holding up my wooden fence were done to
code (supposedly):
8' posts, 2' of which is in cemented in the ground - the last category
3 hurricane knocked 4 of the
fence posts out of the ground & part of the fence over.

So I want to do the replacement posts properly & soon.
I cannot wait until after hurricane season to do this.

Thank you.
All help appreciated,.

[email protected] August 23rd 06 02:32 AM

webmz wrote:
Hello,

I need to install some fence posts.

I was considering using a fast drying product like QUIKRETE®
Fast-Setting Concrete or Pakmix Fence Post Mix with PakMix fast setting
accelerator .
In the hopes of setting the posts in the holes when it isn't raining ,
pouring the concrete, & it will dry as it says it will quickly.

This is the brand I use. If you read down the FAQ sheet, you'll note
where they say it is fine for wet environments (it sets underwater, but
then so does "regular concrete").

http://www.ctscement.com/ConcreteMix_FAQ.asp

Pat August 23rd 06 02:34 AM

fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

"webmz" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Concrete will set up underwater. Just avoid flowing water which will wash
the cement out of the concrete.

terry August 23rd 06 02:48 AM

Pat wrote:
"webmz" wrote in message
[...]

..
.................................................. ...........
Did not someone mention a methd of digging the holes, placing the
posts, bracing them, filling the holes around the posts with dry
concrete mix then watering the mix. Whereupon the cement sets/cures in
place? I vaguely recall some postings along that line (on this NG?).

Eric in North TX August 23rd 06 03:02 AM

fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

Did not someone mention a methd of digging the holes, placing the
posts, bracing them, filling the holes around the posts with dry
concrete mix then watering the mix. Whereupon the cement sets/cures in
place? I vaguely recall some postings along that line (on this NG?).

That's how I always set mine, it works great. If you get it a little
too wet, no problem, the excess soaks into the dirt. I just use a 1X2
to stir / mix. Why get something messy mixing cement for posts?

George E. Cawthon August 23rd 06 04:30 AM

webmz wrote:
[...]

Concrete cures, it doesn't dry, keeping it moist
or damp after initial hardening makes it stronger.
Use regular concrete which will hardens in 2-3
hours and during that time shield from running
water with plastic or simply use earth. After
that, the more moisture the better. Wait 3-4 days
to put up the fence.

HeyBub August 23rd 06 04:37 AM

webmz wrote:
Hello,

I need to install some fence posts.

I'm in Florida and we're in hurricane season.
That means it rains almost every day, when the weather man is right.

Concrete is indifferent to water. Concrete doesn't "dry," it hardens via a
chemical reaction and will harden when submerged.

Alan August 23rd 06 05:20 AM

fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

I'd put in 9' galvanized steel posts, dig holes deep enough to drive in
rock below the post and up about 6", and then fill the rest with mix of
quikrete and rock. The gravel and quickrete can be sort of crudely
mixed to make a rought surface post bottom that should grip the ground
a little better. Flat shale rock works as good as quickete in my
neighborhood, really, drains a lot better, and is cheaper too. With
treated lumber or steel posts though, rotten posts are much of a
problem.

Chris Lewis August 23rd 06 05:42 AM

fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

According to terry :

Did not someone mention a methd of digging the holes, placing the
posts, bracing them, filling the holes around the posts with dry
concrete mix then watering the mix. Whereupon the cement sets/cures in
place? I vaguely recall some postings along that line (on this NG?).

Some "quick!" posthole mixes explicitly call for that technique in their
instructions. Some mixes will do better with this technique than
others - depending on how well they'll "wet themselves" without
active mixing. I suspect the posthole mixes intended for this technique
are treated with something to cause the water to wick more readily.
Eg: something to reduce water tension.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

mm August 23rd 06 09:16 AM

fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

On 22 Aug 2006 18:02:18 -0700, "Eric in North TX"
wrote:

Did not someone mention a methd of digging the holes, placing the
posts, bracing them, filling the holes around the posts with dry
concrete mix then watering the mix. Whereupon the cement sets/cures in
place? I vaguely recall some postings along that line (on this NG?).

That's how I always set mine, it works great. If you get it a little
too wet, no problem, the excess soaks into the dirt. I just use a 1X2
to stir / mix. Why get something messy mixing cement for posts?

The guy I work with does it that way too, although he haven't done too
many of them and he pretty much stops looking at them a couple years
later. But none have fallen down in ten years. (These are 12 or 14
foot poles, rather than posts, fwiw.)

EXT August 23rd 06 03:48 PM

fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather

You are misunderstanding the effect of drying concrete. It does not dry it
sets. Any concrete is mixed with water and then it starts to set. It will
set or harden within 24 hours but does not reach maximum strength for about
28 days. If it rains after you pour or even just use the dry mix in the hole
it makes no difference. If your hole is full of water, you can use concrete
but it is better to avoid making it to soupy or mixing mud in the concrete.
When I have to do that, I usually put the post in a garbage bag, drop in the
hole, then add the concrete into the bag, it keeps the excess water from
diluting the concrete mix. Officially concrete will set underwater, the
trick is to keep it from washing away or being diluted too much.

Harry K August 23rd 06 04:02 PM

webmz wrote:
[...]

As others have said. Once you have it emplaced, rain won't hurt it.
Driving rain might screw up the top surface but that is it. If it bugs
you, just cover the 'crete with garbage bags after pouring. Now the
problem of 'crete and rain is in the mixing. If you are mixing by hand
while it is raining you can easily get way too much water in the mix.

Harry K