Posted to alt.home.repair

Default when do I need to use a dehumidifier?

I'm wondering if I need a dehumidifier in the basement of my new house.
It smells a little damp but there is no moisture on the walls or floor.
I don't want anything to get moldy though. I read that mold cannot grow
below 62% humidity. It was 37% humidity today in the Northeast. I'm
just wondering if I need to buy one right away since the summer is
almost over and the humidity is getting lower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the humidity in the basement, digital units are best, if you smell
something chances are its to humid, it doesnt matter what the outside
humidity is.