Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulation questions

Live in cold midwest - am getting ready to drywall portions of my house
that have been re-modeled. Wanted some recomendations on insulation
r-values. Contractor did the construction, but I am doing insulation
to save a few bucks..

Going with fiberglass... for ease of instalation.. etc.

Outside walls - currently has r-11 but most has come down.. so will be
replacing the stuff that has been exposed by removal of drywall. What
R value should I go with.

Ceiling between 1st and 2nd floor - Had insulation between joists, I
have to assume it was for noise. Most has come down during
contruction, will be replacing it. What R value?

Bedroom walls - build a second floor laundry, want to sound insulate as
much as possible.. what r-value should I use in walls (regular 2x4 stud
walls)

Have to get this done in the next 48 hours, so any specialized products
are not an option, has to be off-the shelf from Lowes or HD (or simular)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message

Going with fiberglass... for ease of instalation.. etc.

Outside walls - currently has r-11 but most has come down.. so will be
replacing the stuff that has been exposed by removal of drywall. What
R value should I go with.

Go with R-asmuchasyoucan The deciding factor will be the wall cavity. You
can only fit so much material in the space of a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6. Only other
wayis to use a different mateial wiht a higher R value per inch.

Ceiling between 1st and 2nd floor - Had insulation between joists, I
have to assume it was for noise. Most has come down during
contruction, will be replacing it. What R value?

If both spaces are heated equally, it will make no real difference.

Bedroom walls - build a second floor laundry, want to sound insulate as
much as possible.. what r-value should I use in walls (regular 2x4 stud
walls)

R value has nothing to do with sound insulation. Thee are some materials
that are supposed to help though. Check out hte Owens-Corning web page for
what they offer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Live in cold midwest - am getting ready to drywall portions of my
house that have been re-modeled. Wanted some recomendations on
insulation r-values. Contractor did the construction, but I am doing
insulation to save a few bucks..

Going with fiberglass... for ease of instalation.. etc.

Outside walls - currently has r-11 but most has come down.. so will be
replacing the stuff that has been exposed by removal of drywall.
What R value should I go with.

The most that will fit in the cavity without compressing it.

Ceiling between 1st and 2nd floor - Had insulation between joists, I
have to assume it was for noise. Most has come down during
contruction, will be replacing it. What R value?

Since there should be little or no temperature difference R value is
meaningless.

Bedroom walls - build a second floor laundry, want to sound insulate
as much as possible.. what r-value should I use in walls (regular 2x4
stud walls)

I suggest adding an additional layer of drywall as that will do far more
good than stuffing standard insulation in there. The do make some sound
control insulation that will help some.

Even more important would be any air to air exchanges. For example you
don't want to use a shared air return as the sound will just travel through
it from room to room.

Laundries have a special issue with vibration. You want to isolate the
machinery from the structure with flexible materials.

You should be able to find a lot of ideas and maybe some products at:

http://www.soundproofing.org/

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Have to get this done in the next 48 hours, so any specialized
products are not an option, has to be off-the shelf from Lowes or HD
(or simular)

The isolation stuff for the equipment can be done later.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

First you need to air seal any potential avenues for air filtration
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...vement_sealing

I used the Dow spray foam that comes in a can -- get closed cell type.

Then add as much insulation that you can without compressing the fiberglass.

Good luck.

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

seal all around outlets etc, use unfaced insulation and cover all
inside walls with heavy mill plastic like 10 mill.

the big rush 48 hours isnt good it will lead to cuttiong corners and
endless energy loss.....

I would price closed cell foam in place, its sound deadening and a
excellent insulator, but requires a pro install.

if you ever heat just some rooms like we do insulate between floors

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fiberglass batt is all apx the same 3.5R per inch, if you want to save
use R 7.2" foamboard, you wont save on heating using fiberglass over
what you had