Posted to alt.home.repair
LM LM is offline

Default Hardiplank siding installation

Is it a good idea to install furring strips under the siding for better
ventilation ? I had some conflicting opinions on this. The home is in
Northwest and we get lot of rain here.
I already decided to use tar paper instead of Tyvek home wrap and gave up on
the extra foam insulation on exterior walls to make the home more
breathable.

thanks
Luke

Posted to alt.home.repair

LM wrote:

Is it a good idea to install furring strips under the siding for better
ventilation ? I had some conflicting opinions on this. The home is in
Northwest and we get lot of rain here.
I already decided to use tar paper instead of Tyvek home wrap and gave up on
the extra foam insulation on exterior walls to make the home more
breathable.

thanks
Luke

Hardiplank siding does not have the same properties as wood.
It does not absorb and disperse moisture the way that wood
does, so the furring strips are not necessary. I will install
hardiplank directly onto the framing or substrate. I will
not do this with wood siding. The "rainguard" technique
(furring strips to provide an airspace) is the only good way
to make wood siding last. Hardiplank doesn't need it. It
won't hurt to have it, but it is not required.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LM wrote:
Is it a good idea to install furring strips under the siding for better
ventilation ? I had some conflicting opinions on this. The home is in
Northwest and we get lot of rain here.
I already decided to use tar paper instead of Tyvek home wrap and gave up on
the extra foam insulation on exterior walls to make the home more
breathable.

thanks
Luke

Mr. Allison is IMHO correct.
Even though it is not needed, I would consider furring strips.
Given the rainy climate, everything one can do to allow the material is
a benefit.
Check out the Building Science Corporation web site.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
LM wrote:

[...]

www.buildingscience.com does recommend furring strips behind cement
siding products like Hardi Plank in some climates. Their
recommendations are CLIMATE specific.