Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain and garbage disposal is rusted in place.

Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain, if it's clogged just
inside the garbage disposal, and the garbage disposal is rusted in
place.

I have to replace the GD, but can I use the DW until then?

Insinkerator 0.5 HP GD and Kenmore DW.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain, if it's clogged just
inside the garbage disposal, and the garbage disposal is rusted in
place.

I have to replace the GD, but can I use the DW until then?

Insinkerator 0.5 HP GD and Kenmore DW.

Thanks

Depends on your setup. Most often, the DW empties into the upper portion of
the GD and no, it will not drain.

I've have also seen where the DW drains directly into the drain pipe after
the disposal, then yes, it will drain. Go look where the hose goes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:09:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain, if it's clogged just
inside the garbage disposal, and the garbage disposal is rusted in
place.

I have to replace the GD, but can I use the DW until then?

Insinkerator 0.5 HP GD and Kenmore DW.

Thanks

Depends on your setup. Most often, the DW empties into the upper portion of
the GD and no, it will not drain.

I guess it is the upper portion. (It is if you divide the height by
two, and it is above the place where the case bolts together.)

Is there a way to clean out the disposal enough to make the water
drain, without running the disposal.

I guess, since I have to replace the disposal, I would even use
something as strong as dran-o, but otoh, if it doesn't work, then I
would have to remove the disposal with something like Drano in it.

Is there something strong enough to free up easy stuff that is soaking
wet but which won't damage me if it doesn't work?

I never actively put food or any non liquid down the disposal, but it
clogs every few months anyhow, I and I have to run it to make the
water drain well. The only thing I know is down there is milk curds
and 4 to 8 oz. of grease that this one time only I spilled into the
sink.

I've have also seen where the DW drains directly into the drain pipe after
the disposal,

Well, I know it doesn't do that.

then yes, it will drain. Go look where the hose goes.