HOW TO FIX LEAKS IN FRONT OF DORMER

Old August 17th 06, 01:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default HOW TO FIX LEAKS IN FRONT OF DORMER

year ago we had leak in flashing near dormer and handy man supposedly
fixed it and redid flashing in front of another dormer. Now both leak
and when I checked I see about 8 nails in the shingles in front of each
dormer. they had sealant on top of them but most is gone now. The
questions should any nails be exposed there. Should the first shingle
snot be cemented down when you restart the shingles below the dormer
and windows? We have roofer coming today but want to know what to
expect.

Old August 17th 06, 02:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes face nailing is unavoidable in a repair but it is less than
optimum as you have discovered.
You will probably need to remove those shingles and perhaps more
running along side the dormers. and apply flashing correctly and then
replace the shingles without face nailing any of them. In order to
flash correctly a few courses of siding may need to be removed and
replaced so the flashing can go under it. If the leaks have damaged the
roof sheathing some of that may need replacement as well.
Depending on the height, the roof pitch, type of siding, and the extent
of damage it could run 2 men about 2 days labor to get things right.