Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean up concrete "haze" without harming sealer?

Greetings all!

My wife and I are putting in a pool/spa with a concrete patio, and it
turns out our vile pool contractor has acquired a justly deserved "F"
rating by from the Better Business Bureau during the course of our
project (long, horrible story, don't want to go into it...thanks), so I
am turning instead to this newsgroup for some useful advice.

The stamped "reddish sandstone" concrete was laid down and sealed about
two months ago. Two tracks were cut into the concrete today (alongside
the pool) to accomodate the tracks for the automatic cover. The wet
concrete from the cutting has produced a significant "concrete haze"; I
am familiar with "haze" from tilework I have done, but am not sure the
same term applies to concrete...by "haze," I am talking about the
whitish residue which is really hard to successfully remove even with
our 1800psi power washer. My wife and I gave it a pretty earnest shot
this afternoon, but were reluctant to go crazy with the power washer
for fear of doing some damage to the sealer (and it seemed we were
making only meager progress at eliminate the "haze").

How should we approach this problem? Are there products that will
facilitate the clean-up of the concrete haze? Do these products have
undesirable side effects, like eliminating the sealer as well as the
concrete residue?

Thanks in advance for any useful advice!

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

How should we approach this problem?

Are there products that will facilitate the clean-up of the concrete haze?

A light Muratic acid solution will remove the haze and not effect the
obviously usless sealant you had applied to the concrete.....Why do I
say usless.... well if it was sealed the cement dust that was liquified
from the saw would have not stuck to the concrete now would it have? If
you used a pressure washer (although 1800 psi is not much) and this did
not come off your concrete was not sealed properly or more than likley
not at all. When yo cut concrete as they did with you deck the dimomd
blade is essentially re grindng the concrete ingreaidants and adding
water to them..typically this will "stain"surrounding concrete slightly
but if hosed off quickly it is not a problem.

Do these products have undesirable side effects, like eliminating the sealer as well as the
concrete residue?

Mix the muratic acid and water (follow direction on the bottle) and
apply with an old paint brush over the effectied ares with the haze.
The solution will buble a bit when applied and this is how you will
know it is working. Scrub slightly with a brush and rince with water.
Muratic acid must be diltued........with water before application.