Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion-Detector Light and Deer

I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

It would scare it away for about 4 days until they figure out it's harmless.
I know this from experience. There are only two ways to stop deer. Fences or
guns. Some people say get a dog, but then you're just trading one annoyance
for another and ****ing off your neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" writes:

I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

My neighbor says hostas are 'deer lettuce'.

The deer like the light, they can see what they are eating better.

I'm having pretty good success with deer repellents.
I started with 'Shotgun' from Home Depot.
Worked great. Last time I went they had something else
which I'm using now. It seems to be working too.
Look on the bottle, make sure it says it repels with
smell and taste.
You have to reapply after rain or every couple of weeks.
We're almost to the end of August and my hostas are in
one piece. That's a record for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

I have seen motion detector water sprayers. Don't know how they work,
though.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

deer. Fences or
guns. Some people say get a dog, but then you're just trading one
annoyance for another and ****ing off your neighbors.

I have a 4' fence. I guess I need 6' or 8'. I think discharging a firearm
would **** off my neighbors a good bit more than a dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

deer. Fences or
guns. Some people say get a dog, but then you're just trading one
annoyance for another and ****ing off your neighbors.

I have a 4' fence. I guess I need 6' or 8'. I think discharging a
firearm would **** off my neighbors a good bit more than a dog.

True. I've been trying without luck to hire a hit man for the deer around my
yard. It's actually legal here (NY) to eliminate animals which destroy food
crops, but in this neighborhood, only a bow & arrow would be legal. It's not
a skill I have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

I have seen motion detector water sprayers. Don't know how they work,
though.

Steve

My folks have these in their yard and they work well. Have gotten a
soaking right in the ear once or twice when I walk into the yard and
forget they are there.

-Chris
http://auslunch.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve B wrote:
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to
put
any poisons or other such things out there.

I have seen motion detector water sprayers. Don't know how they work,
though.

Steve

My folks have these in their yard and they work well. Have gotten a
soaking right in the ear once or twice when I walk into the yard and
forget they are there.

-Chris
http://auslunch.com/

In what way do they work well? Have they completely stopped the deer from
doing damage?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve B wrote:
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to
put
any poisons or other such things out there.

I have seen motion detector water sprayers. Don't know how they work,
though.

Steve

My folks have these in their yard and they work well. Have gotten a
soaking right in the ear once or twice when I walk into the yard and
forget they are there.

-Chris
http://auslunch.com/

In what way do they work well? Have they completely stopped the deer from
doing damage?

Yes, in the areas they are pointing at. The kind they have just hook
into a hose and you aim them at a particular part of the yard. So the
coverage is only the area they are pointed at. They have one in the
front that covers a large bed of ivy, probably 15' in diameter (and the
sprinkler is maybe 10' from the bed, aimed towards it). When
activated, it will make one quick sweep across the area like those
sprinklers you see on football fields and such.

The downsides a
1. Requires hose to be out at all times.
2. Somewhat unsightly sticking out of the yard.
3. Will spray humans walking within its coverage area.
4. Has limited coverage.

If you have a limited area you want to protect, it seems to do the
trick.

For their backyard, they are going to increase the fence height to 6' I
think. That will keep them out of there.

This looks like a similar product:
http://www.safepetproducts.com/pilot...scarecrow_main

-Chris
http://auslunch.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you thought about getting a motion detection that has an outlet on
it and then connecting it to a radio....I would think that even a low
volume would run the deer off.

Terry

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve B wrote:
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to
put
any poisons or other such things out there.

I have seen motion detector water sprayers. Don't know how they work,
though.

Steve

My folks have these in their yard and they work well. Have gotten a
soaking right in the ear once or twice when I walk into the yard and
forget they are there.

-Chris
http://auslunch.com/

In what way do they work well? Have they completely stopped the deer from
doing damage?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

I have heard folks talk about a "Rainbird" type sprinkler head that has a
motion sensor on it. Deer shows up, valve releases, deer gets pelted with
the dangerous dihydrogenmonoxide and additinally is startled by the sound of
he "rainbird" ratcheting through its cycle.

I think I saw it demonstrated n ne of the TOH spnoffs -- probably an "ASk
This Old House" show.

Even if you don't have an installed sprinkler system, I've seen hose
connected metal bases for the "Rainbird" type heads.

No idea who carries these, but I'm sure the BORG doesn't.

Shotgun ammo is bound to be cheaper. One New Jersey style pumpkin ball and
you've got fresh meat.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

Andy writes;
An electric fence of the type used for cattle with the following
modifications:

Hang aluminum strips about 2 feet long every 15 feet or so. Smear
them
with peanut butter.

The deer see the strips and smell the peanut butter and then try
to eat it. It knocks them for a loop. They learn, after about 2 tries,
stay the hell away...

You may have to repair the fence the first couple of time because
the deer become airborne and may fall on the fence.....

By the way, it doesn't hurt the deer any more than taking a **** on
an electric fence.... Not deadly, but unpleasant, and they learn
FAST...
( ..... just like I did :))))) )

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

Actually, we've found that the smellier deodorant soaps (like Irish
Spring, etc.) tied in an old stocking are pretty effective in the apple
trees, on the wife's moonflowers, etc. Much cheaper than the
commercial repellents if your particular deer doesn't like them, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Andy wrote:

By the way, it doesn't hurt the deer any more than taking a **** on
an electric fence.... Not deadly, but unpleasant, and they learn
FAST...
( ..... just like I did :))))) )

Reminds me of an old bull we had years ago--just loved to push the
fence over or walk through irregardless of how stout it was so we
strung a hot wire around the inside. They can, of course, smell the
ozone and anything new raises no end of curiousity as well, so he
investigated most thoroughly and then reached out and licked
it--needless to say, the last time he approached it closely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

You need an 8' fence. They can jump over a 6' fence. They'll get used to
the lights too, after a while.

How 'bout a paintball gun? Paintballs at close distance (5 yards or so)
hurt a lot and they hardly make any noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:04:22 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put
any poisons or other such things out there.

No. Use rabbit fence or deer netting. Or you can try products such
as "Deer Away" or dust the plants after each rainfall with blood meal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to
put any poisons or other such things out there.

I've learned it's more trouble than it's worth trying to keep deer away
from our plants. I either have to erect a tall unsightly fence, or rig up
something smelly/noisy that will deter them for a while. Dogs are more of a
nuisance than the deer, so that's not an option either.

We actually love to see the deer visiting our property, though sadly they
don't come around much anymore with all the development in our area. So, we
don't really want to scare them away anyway.

So, rather than fight with the deer, I've learned to work with them. I
avoid plants deer love to eat (hostas, impatients, etc.), and select plants
that deer don't particularly care for (marigolds, dianthus, etc.). The deer
may "sample" a plant every now and then if they are really hungry, but for
the most part they leave our plants alone. No fences or deterents needed.

In fact, I can usually sneak in a plant they would normally eat, as long as
it's surrounded by plants they don't like. Not 100% foolproof, but it beats
a fence.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

The deer here like to munch EVERYTHING in my vegetable garden except the
kale. But, it's amazing that you can get cantaloupes from a plant with
almost no leaves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The deer here like to munch EVERYTHING in my vegetable garden

We haven't done a garden in years, but yes, it was like a buffet for the
deer and rabbits.

I built a fence around the garden which "mostly" kept them out, but every
once in a while they would get hungry enough to try jumping the fence. On a
few occasions they hit the fence on the way over, and then I had to repair
the fence.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
M M is offline

I have infra-red motion detector impulse sprinklers positioned in two
of my garden beds that work amazingly well. Their range is 35-45' out,
and anything moving across the field of sensitivity (about 45 degrees)
gets a good douse. They're made by Scarecrow (google-able) and I got
them by ordering them at the website (about 79$ each). I did a lengthy
review on Epinions with all the details and some downsides as well. I
have seen deer walk into their range and trigger the device and the
sound alone of the impulse sprinkler makes the deer startle and bound
away, even before the water hits them.
I have unprotected beds of impatiens that have almost lasted through
the summer using this device. They did get to the beds partially twice
before they entered the sensitive field. Also, the watering from
"false triggering" (about a cup of water for each false trigger) keeps
the impatiens well watered, but did make them grow so well that they
became tall enough to block the motion detector! So, I had to stake
the device to a higher stake. In addition to these devices, I also use
deer netting and bird netting draped over hosta beds, as well as 6'
fences constructed from 6' metal poles and draped with deer netting for
my veggie garden, roses, and other beds which are out of view of
curbside (very ugly, IMO).
Chris wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeves had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-138030-.htm
:
Electric fence works, even a strand or two. If the weeds are kept off it,
a small unit will do. It is not understood, by the deer.

I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to
put
any poisons or other such things out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeves" wrote in message
om...
jeves had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-138030-.htm
:
Electric fence works, even a strand or two. If the weeds are kept off it,
a small unit will do. It is not understood, by the deer.

I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard.
Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to
put
any poisons or other such things out there.

No, but it will help it find the best leaves

What to do with old but working A/C Window units and Deer Boen Heaters Aaron Home Repair 9 January 3rd 06 11:05 AM
Deer antler alysonsdad Woodturning 18 December 28th 05 03:55 PM
Liability: I'm not responsible for your kids! Karen Preston Home Ownership 148 November 13th 05 03:50 AM
Window Cracked by Deer BroJack Home Repair 8 June 22nd 04 05:07 AM
John Deer Tractor lift handle repair Don Metalworking 6 April 21st 04 05:27 AM