Junior Member

Default Brick Mold Installation on Replacement Window

My back brick veneer wall got blown out by Hurricane Katrina (windows, too)--7 feet of water in house. Finally, we recently resurrected the brick wall, but before the windows were put in. We left extra space around the windows utilizing temporary brickmold so the brick masons had a place to stop. Now we finally have our replacement Pella Impervia double-hung windows installed in the framed out openings, but have too big a gap on the sides of the windows (bigger than a regular piece of brickmold). Our plan is to enclose the gap with brickmold and then line the "brick window jamb" with Harditrim boards (to fill the rest of the gap--3/4"), create a window sill with Harditrim board, and then put 6" trim on the outside of the brick wall. We are trying to fill the gap as well as make the windows look like they have wood jambs and trim (no exposed brick in the jamb). There is no overhanging brick sill.

Anyway, my question is:

Is brickmold supposed to be (1) butted up flush to the window frame itself with caulking between and then butted up to the window jamb (with caulking), or (2) put overlapping slightly on top of the window frame edge and then butted up to the jamb?

The Harditrim board we are putting on the window jamb is a concrete product, and the brickmold is Solid PVC brick mold (not wood), so we should not have any wood on brick rot problems in the future.

I done an extensive web search, but no where does it show a good picture or description of how to install brickmolding around a window. It always just says install brickmolding (or brick mold/mould).

So in other words, is the brick molding installed "on" the Pella window frame or next to the window frame.

Hope someone can either give me an answer or direct me to a decent site that shows the layout. I need to solve this so I can install my hurricane shutters. It has been almost a year since my house was wiped out, it is hurricane season again, and I want to get my house as water tight as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Nancie