Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood for Burning

Is there a list of what the best types of wood to burn in an open fireplace?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

In article 180Dg.375421$IK3.29816@pd7tw1no, says...

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Benni" wrote in message
Is there a list of what the best types of wood to burn in an open
fireplace?

TIA

Any wood can be burned, but the hardwoods have better heat per pound. Yes,
even pine can be burned, but you can get much more creosote buildup. It has
to be burned hotter to avoid that.

Most of us are dependent on the type of wood indigenous to our area. I get
lots of oak and maple, with a little hickory, tiny bit of birch. Most wood
dealers give you no choice, or they charge much more for a specific type of
wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benni wrote:
Is there a list of what the best types of wood to burn in an open fireplace?

TIA

If you are planning to use wood for heat, forget about an open
fireplace. They are a great invention for getting rid of wood but
that's about all they are good for other than ambiance.

To heat with wood using a fireplace calls for an insert - a stove
designed to be inserted into the fireplace opening.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benni wrote:
I have he

Maple
Cherry
Hemlock

snip

Most important that they be properly seasoned, as dry as possible, and
split to appropriate range of sizes.

If you think you're heating the house with a fireplace, sorry, but it's
_in_spite_of_. Or there's more you're not telling us. Almost certainly,
you could be extracting much more heat from the wood. Enormously more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:Ik0Dg.5$X77.4@trndny08...

"Benni" wrote in message
Is there a list of what the best types of wood to burn in an open
fireplace?

TIA

Any wood can be burned, but the hardwoods have better heat per pound. Yes,
even pine can be burned, but you can get much more creosote buildup. It has
to be burned hotter to avoid that.

I have read that hardwoods have better heat per volume, but that most woods
are similar in heat per pound. Hardwood is just heavier.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message news:CLadnSQ--

I have read that hardwoods have better heat per volume, but that most
woods
are similar in heat per pound. Hardwood is just heavier.

Bob

That is what I meant to say, Yes, you are correct. Hardwood is denser

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benni wrote:
Its a 900sf rancher, My open fireplace works great..

If you stuff enough wood in there, you'll get some heat. What people are trying
to tell you and you are denying is that the efficiency of a fireplace is quite
low. When it comes to wood:

- Open fires (e.g. bonfire) are extremely inefficient.
- Open fireplaces are very inefficient.
- Closed fireplaces (not well sealed) are next.
- Properly sealed fireplaces and stoves are more efficient.
- Well-designed, sealed stoves used according to best practices are
moderately to very efficient.
- Kachelovens are the most efficient and the best approach that of
the most efficient petroleum-based (oil, natural gas etc) heaters.

Pellet stoves and similar wood or vegetable matter burning devices are somewhere
in the middle of that list depending on their quality of manufacture and use.

Price increases as you go down the list. Fuel demand goes down accordingly.

As they say, a smart person gets heat from a good fire. A fool gets hot
chopping a lot of wood.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob, Actually heating a 900 SQ ft ranch is pretty good with an open
fireplace. Im not sure how you manage it. I tried it with a 1200 sq ft
ranch and failed miserably but I had a prefab fireplace with loose
fitting glass doors. Maybe your unit had a heatilator or similar blower
that extracts the warm air?
I decided to plug the fireplace with a chimney balloon and just get a
power vent furnace. That suceeded in lowering my heating bill
significantly. And I am not spending so much of my free time chopping
and spliting. I still use the fireplace for ambiance occasionally but I
dont expect much from it.
German Jerry