Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Black & Decker charger repair

I have a Black & Decker PS160 charger - 12V. It stopped working, so I
opened it up to have a look. There are only 2 resistors in these
things. One of the two resistors has blown, probably because I left the
unit plugged in for too long and ruined one of my batteries.

Black & Decker has not been able to help. The warranty is over, so they
told me to buy a new one. They said they don't have records of what
parts were used in the charger. I've looked high and low for someone
who might have a schematic, but no luck.

Here's what I'm pleading for:
I need someone who has the PS160 charger to look at the circuit board
and tell me the colors of the bands on resistor R2 (there is a label
visible under the resistor). It's the one right next to the LED. My
resistor is burnt and I can't see the middle band(s) at all. It looks
like one end is a brown band, and the other is likely blue but might be
green. Can't be sure because of the damage.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

What does this resistor do? if it's a LED resistor, then the value isn't
really critical. If you take & post photos of both sides of the CCT board,
and buzz out the continuities, I might be able to help.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't have such a charger -- but some other ideas. Might want to get a
float charger from Harbor Freight, and wire that onto your specialized
plug adaptor.

Second thought. Be sure it's a resistor, not a diode.

Third. Get a power supply plug from www.sciplus.com and guess at
charging times.

Fourth, pitch the drill in the scrap and buy another one from
www.harborfreight.com ; I have a 12 volt Drill Master, and really
worth the $15 I paid for it, half price sale.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you end up buying a charger, don't get a Black & Decker. The DeWalt
DW9116 (DeWalt and Black & Decker are the same company) will charge
your BD batteries and won't burn out if you plug in a bad battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a ps160 checked that color code its from the led
gold,black,red,green mine are ok but charger still dosen't work it must
be the unit itself I'm new to this google site and need help myself
finding parts let me know if you see this post.
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Don't have such a charger -- but some other ideas. Might want to get a
float charger from Harbor Freight, and wire that onto your specialized
plug adaptor.

Second thought. Be sure it's a resistor, not a diode.

Third. Get a power supply plug from www.sciplus.com and guess at
charging times.

Fourth, pitch the drill in the scrap and buy another one from
www.harborfreight.com ; I have a 12 volt Drill Master, and really
worth the $15 I paid for it, half price sale.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Val Val is offline

I have exactly the same problem with my ps160. The R2 resistor is not a
led resistor, it's set between the diode bridge and the battery. Mine
seems to be a 81ohm (grey brown black, gold).
I will change it this afternoon and post if it worked...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I may be able to help. My PS 160 charger is busted too working only
every once in a while and I took it apart. Don't know much about
electronics but everything in mine looks okay. The bands on the
resistor closest to the LED is from top to bottom Gray-Red-Gold-Gold.
This appears to be slightly larger than the resistor next to it. If
you want I can send you a closeup macro picture of the board. Private
mail me at and I'll attach pic.

I have a Black & Decker PS160 charger - 12V. It stopped working, so I
opened it up to have a look. There are only 2 resistors in these
things. One of the two resistors has blown, probably because I left the
unit plugged in for too long and ruined one of my batteries.

If you bought the original with a credit card, it's possible the
original warranty was extended by an extra year. Or can you buy a B&D
tool that uses an identical charger and look at it?

If a resistor blew, I would expect the power transistor or triac
associated with it to have blown as well. I hope it's a discrete part
and not built into an IC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

steve wrote:
I have a ps160 checked that color code its from the led
gold,black,red,green mine are ok but charger still dosen't work it must
be the unit itself I'm new to this google site and need help myself
finding parts let me know if you see this post.

Read colors in the opposite direction:

http://www.elexp.com/t_resist.htm

52 ohms 5% accuracy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Rich256 wrote:

I have a Black & Decker PS160 charger - 12V. It stopped working, so I
opened it up to have a look. There are only 2 resistors in these
things. One of the two resistors has blown, probably because I left the
unit plugged in for too long and ruined one of my batteries.
If you bought the original with a credit card, it's possible the
original warranty was extended by an extra year. Or can you buy a B&D
tool that uses an identical charger and look at it?

If a resistor blew, I would expect the power transistor or triac
associated with it to have blown as well. I hope it's a discrete part
and not built into an IC.

Those chargers usually don't use transistors or traics. Just a
transformer, diode bridge and sometimes a dropping resistor.

I admit I've never seen the inside of a B&D charger, only DeWalt and
Ryobi units, but unless the battery pack contains some extra circuitry,
which I doubt it does, being a budget brand, a fast charger built like
that will be rough on the batteries.

I also doubt that it could be called a fast charger. Most of them the
transformer output is just enough to charge if left on long enough.
Similar to those battery operated devices that tell you to charge for at
least 10 hours before using.

A burned resistor I would guess could be due to a shorted cell in the
battery pack. Important to measure the battery voltage before doing
anything else. The pack has 10 cells. If the voltage doesn't get to
near 12 volts or is below 10 a cell is probably shorted.

I just looked it up and see it is a 12 volt charger. Uses a wall plug
transformer. And see others commenting that there is only two resistors
and they have the same problem of one burning out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to wangchiliusa, Southerner wrote:
wangchiliusa wrote:
My PS 160 charger is busted too working only
every once in a while and I took it apart.

How do you get the charger apart? Do you have to cut it in the little
trough that goes around near the bottom? I tried prying mine open with a
flat blade screw driver but all it did was dig into the plastic without
separating it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 03:44:01 +0000, Southerner
wrote:

replying to wangchiliusa, Southerner wrote:
wangchiliusa wrote:

Were these posts on alt.home.repair. If you changed the Subject,
they won't sort with prior posts of a different Subject.

If they posted years ago, they're probably not reading now. What was
the date on the posts.

My PS 160 charger is busted too working only
every once in a while and I took it apart.

How do you get the charger apart? Do you have to cut it in the little
trough that goes around near the bottom? I tried prying mine open with a
flat blade screw driver but all it did was dig into the plastic without
separating it.

I've never seen one, but if there is a label, try lifting up the label
and you may find screws underneath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wangchiliusa wrote:
My PS 160 charger is busted too working only
every once in a while and I took it apart.

How do you get the charger apart? Do you have to cut it in the little
trough that goes around near the bottom? I tried prying mine open with a
flat blade screw driver but all it did was dig into the plastic without
separating it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-B.../dp/B000GHYJ8G

Only $14,18 on Amazon. Pretty bad reviews, but if you can't rig
anything else to charege your drill's battieries, wortth it.

Souyld be able to use any other 12 volt charger, connect with wires
with alligator clips on each end.

Better yet, fix your old one, which is what you wanted in the first
place, but I happened to find this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky , Southerner wrote:
NONONOmisc07 wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 03:44:01 +0000, Southerner
Were these posts on alt.home.repair.

I have no idea where this was posted. I found it at
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ir-136519-.htm
and that is where I answered it.

NONONOmisc07 wrote:
If they posted years ago, they're probably not reading now. What was
the date on the posts.

That may very well be but I see many posts concerning the PS160 and even
if the original poster is no longer reading this others are.

NONONOmisc07 wrote:
I've never seen one, but if there is a label, try lifting up the label
and you may find screws underneath.

No, there is no label. It is a typical formed wall wart with a groove
about 1/4" from the bottom but I see no actual break in that groove and
prying inside the groove does nothing to separate it so I was asking if I
need to actually cut it inside of that groove to get it apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to purple.acorn, KJ6EO wrote:
purple.acorn wrote:

[...]

Did you ever figure out what the correct value of R2 was in the PS160? I
would expect it to
be something like 10 ohms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to purple.acorn, rmotley wrote:
Take a potentiometer rated pretty high such as a 5K ohm 2 watt. Solder a wire
to the wipe and another wire to either end. Connect these wires to your ohm
meter and adjust it for highest ohms. Now disconnect these wires from your
ohm meter and solder them to the circuit board where the resistors leads were.
(remove the resistor first).
Connect your multimeter to the output of the power supply and set it to read
DC volts. Plug in your power supply. Slowly turn the pot to decrease ohms
until you start seeing volts rise on your multimeter. When the volts reach
the level the power supply was intended to output stop. Disconnect the setup
and read the ohms value on the potentiometer . This is the value the resistor
needs to be. I did this with R7 in the wall wart.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to rmotley, Israel wrote:
I opened my PS160 charger which stopped working due to a failed transformer.
The circuit board was intact, the value of the R2 resistor is 8.2 ohm. Hope it
helps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to KJ6EO, Israel wrote:
It is 8.2 ohm

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2017 03:14 PM, Israel wrote:
replying to KJ6EO, Israel wrote:
It is 8.2 ohm

The post was from 14 years ago

LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

The post was from 14 years ago

LOL

I get a shiver when I see posts from Stormin..

Do you suppose they have usenet up there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

On 02/23/2017 02:52 PM, wrote:

The post was from 14 years ago

LOL

I get a shiver when I see posts from Stormin..

Do you suppose they have usenet up there?

Up there?

I don't think that is where he went.

Isn't he riding a comet?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Israel, Ralphie wrote:
Any chance u might know value of the other resister. That one is blown on
mine.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to wangchiliusa, Guest_PL wrote:
Exactly: Gray-Red-Brown-Gold.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a pic of a ps160 charger board
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jlhickle, Cookie wrote:
*Thank you I've been looking for a replacement for my B&D PS160 charger and
the only I been able to find is a used on and I did not want to just end up
with this problem in a month or two, Thanks Thanks I did not know that B&D and
DEWall are the same company *

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-136519-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 9, 2006 at 6:08:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I have three of these chargers. The load resistor on each was burned beyond being able to see the band colors. Two of the resistors measured around 6 Ohms and one was 9. I got some 10 Ohm 1-watt resistors from Radio Shack. Work OK but since the 1-watt resistor is bigger than the original you need to drill a little hole about 1/8 of an inch beyond next to the diodes after the burned resistor is removed to put the lead in and the bend it over to the connection point. Also, one of the transformers was dead. Looked in a junk store, such as Goodwill and found a power supply rated around 12 - 14 VAC. Fixed mine with one that said 13.5 VAC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 9:54:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Verified, the DeWalt DC9310 charger DOES work in place of the PS160.