Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
TP TP is offline

Default weeds and pavers?

We have Unilock pavers around our in ground swimming pool. I’m
sure there are others who have pavers. How do you keep the weeds
from sprouting between the pavers? Tried an area with the weed
mat or newspaper, after a season (upstate NY) it looks the same
as the other areas. I use stone dust in the joints. I heard of
the chemical (weed stop) sand mix. Haven’t located any around
here. I hear its very expense, and wears away. I hate to use a
chemical (ie: roundup) because of it getting into the pool
water. Tried the weed torch to burn them, PITA. Does anyone
have a good solution to weeds and pavers?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:21:43 GMT, TP
wrote:

We have Unilock pavers around our in ground swimming pool. I’m
sure there are others who have pavers. How do you keep the weeds
from sprouting between the pavers? Tried an area with the weed
mat or newspaper, after a season (upstate NY) it looks the same
as the other areas. I use stone dust in the joints. I heard of
the chemical (weed stop) sand mix. Haven’t located any around
here. I hear its very expense, and wears away. I hate to use a
chemical (ie: roundup) because of it getting into the pool
water. Tried the weed torch to burn them, PITA. Does anyone
have a good solution to weeds and pavers?

Thanks

Vinegar and salt solution sprayed onto the weeds.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

TP wrote in
:

We have Unilock pavers around our in ground swimming pool. I'm
sure there are others who have pavers. How do you keep the weeds
from sprouting between the pavers? Tried an area with the weed
mat or newspaper, after a season (upstate NY) it looks the same
as the other areas. I use stone dust in the joints. I heard of
the chemical (weed stop) sand mix. Haven't located any around
here. I hear its very expense, and wears away. I hate to use a
chemical (ie: roundup) because of it getting into the pool
water. Tried the weed torch to burn them, PITA. Does anyone
have a good solution to weeds and pavers?

Thanks

A chemical but it will kill everything and anything. Be careful of wanted roots that
may be near or under the weeds.

Ortho® GroundClear® Complete Vegetation Killer Concentrate

* Kills weeds and prevents new growth for up to 1 year
* Eliminates unwanted vegetation from driveways, walkways, patios, fence rows and other areas

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...8627e685fc3a8b
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
TP wrote in
:

[...]

Sounds just like roundup. I hear silca sand in the cracks works well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR FDR is offline

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
TP wrote in
:

[...]

We had a contractor that was going to put a polymer type grount to fill in
the cracks....never got it done but sounded like a good solution that would
last.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
TP TP is offline

Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could
be a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you
can’t rub off the haze on pavers…
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is
needed around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Mike wrote:

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...8627e685fc3a8b

Sounds just like roundup. I hear silca sand in the cracks works well.

Actually, it's very different than Roundup. While Roundup also kills
just about everything, you can safely replant a week later. The above
type product not only kills, but keeps anything from germinating for 6
months to a year. It's designed for driveways, walkways, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

TP wrote:
We have Unilock pavers around our in ground swimming pool. I’m sure
there are others who have pavers. How do you keep the weeds from
sprouting between the pavers? Tried an area with the weed mat or
newspaper, after a season (upstate NY) it looks the same as the other
areas. I use stone dust in the joints. I heard of the chemical (weed
stop) sand mix. Haven’t located any around here. I hear its very
expense, and wears away. I hate to use a chemical (ie: roundup) because
of it getting into the pool water. Tried the weed torch to burn them,
PITA. Does anyone have a good solution to weeds and pavers?

Thanks

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I never saw my earlier reply show up.

Start by washing out as much of the stone dust as you can. Stone dust
is no good for interlocking paver joints. (I hope for your patio's sake
your setting bed is not stone dust as well.)

Let the area dry out thoroughly.

Invest in some polymeric joint sand (NOT grout), it should be available
from most resellers of concrete pavers. Follow installation instructions
carefully & completely.

The brand we sell here in Maryland can be seen he

http://www.techniseal.com/products.p...=1&langue_Id=1

This product should eliminate virtually all your weed problems, and also
stop ants from tunneling through the joints & making piles of powder on
the surface.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

I set 500 sf of pavers 2 years ago. DW would only agree to pavers if I
promised that no weeds would grow in between them. I used a product called
Surebond. So far not a single weed has appeared. It's not cheap but it
works! I am not affiliated with the company - just a very satisfied
customer.

"TP" wrote in message
We have Unilock pavers around our in ground swimming pool. I’m
sure there are others who have pavers. How do you keep the weeds
from sprouting between the pavers? Tried an area with the weed
mat or newspaper, after a season (upstate NY) it looks the same
as the other areas. I use stone dust in the joints. I heard of
the chemical (weed stop) sand mix. Haven’t located any around
here. I hear its very expense, and wears away. I hate to use a
chemical (ie: roundup) because of it getting into the pool
water. Tried the weed torch to burn them, PITA. Does anyone
have a good solution to weeds and pavers?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

A friend of mine installed pavers using sand in the joints for a year or two
until he was sure there would be no settling, then he (a) pressure washed
them to wash out some of the sand, (b) sprinkled grout over the pavers and
used a broom to sweep it off the pavers and into the joints, and (c) gave it
a light sprinkling of water. It looks great, nothing grows in the cracks,
and it's really solid -- Regards --

"TP" wrote in message
We have Unilock pavers around our in ground swimming pool. I'm
sure there are others who have pavers. How do you keep the weeds
from sprouting between the pavers? Tried an area with the weed
mat or newspaper, after a season (upstate NY) it looks the same
as the other areas. I use stone dust in the joints. I heard of
the chemical (weed stop) sand mix. Haven't located any around
here. I hear its very expense, and wears away. I hate to use a
chemical (ie: roundup) because of it getting into the pool
water. Tried the weed torch to burn them, PITA. Does anyone
have a good solution to weeds and pavers?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR FDR is offline

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could be a pain
to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you can’t rub off the haze
on pavers…
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is needed
around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers first, but the
contractor never came back. Now I just spray it with Roundup long term weed
preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
m:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could be a
pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you can’t rub off
the haze on pavers…
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is needed
around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers first,
but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it with Roundup
long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...ct/documentId/
f985420bc0ed1ea7a78627e685fc3a8b

We had a contractor that was going to put a polymer type grount to
fill in the cracks....never got it done but sounded like a good
solution that would last.

Triox works better. Sterilizes the soil. Nothing can germinate...even if
you plant something in it.

Ortho makes both products. I guess one saves a nickel but may work just
as well. I go for the sure kill myself. No stragglers.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR FDR is offline

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could be a
pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you can't rub off
the haze on pavers.
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is needed
around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers first,
but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it with Roundup
long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
m:

[...]

What does this stuff smell like? I tried some with the Ortho weed stopper
and it smelled horrible; the Roundup was fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could be
a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you can't rub
off the haze on pavers.
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is
needed around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers first,
but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it with
Roundup long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
om:

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...duct/documentI
d/ f985420bc0ed1ea7a78627e685fc3a8b

We had a contractor that was going to put a polymer type grount to
fill in the cracks....never got it done but sounded like a good
solution that would last.

Triox works better. Sterilizes the soil. Nothing can germinate...even
if you plant something in it.

Ortho makes both products. I guess one saves a nickel but may work
just as well. I go for the sure kill myself. No stragglers.

What does this stuff smell like? I tried some with the Ortho weed
stopper and it smelled horrible; the Roundup was fine.

I have a cheap computer. I can't post smells.

I mean really now. It's outside. You want to kill the weeds or what?
Whatever it smells like, it's gonna dissipate in a day or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR FDR is offline

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could be
a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you can't rub
off the haze on pavers.
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is
needed around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers first,
but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it with
Roundup long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
. com:

[...]

No, but you can post opinions or descriptions.

I mean really now. It's outside. You want to kill the weeds or what?
Whatever it smells like, it's gonna dissipate in a day or two.

The smell from the Ortho stuff lasted for well over a month. Luckily it was
done early enough in the season or it would have been bad trying to be by
the pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could
be a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you can't
rub off the haze on pavers.
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is
needed around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers
first, but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it
with Roundup long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
.com:

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...roduct/documen
[...]

Almost as bad as all the chlorine in the pool I bet...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR FDR is offline

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could
be a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you can't
rub off the haze on pavers.
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is
needed around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers
first, but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it
with Roundup long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
r.com:

[...]

Actually, we use a mineral cartridge at the pool pump for desanitizing. It
only requires a 1ppm chlorine residual in the pool so it never smells of
chlorine.

Why are you intentionally being an ass in your responses?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could
be a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you
can't rub off the haze on pavers.
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is
needed around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers
first, but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it
with Roundup long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
. rr.com:

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event....product/docum
[...]

Just keeping in practice:-) Lighten up.

Of course Ortho stuff stinks. To some it doesn't matter. To some the
slightest bit is gagging. Heck, in some places the water stinks too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in
:

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could
be a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you
can't rub off the haze on pavers.
I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is
needed around a pool.
FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?

We never grouted it. We were going to fix the uneven pavers
first, but the contractor never came back. Now I just spray it
with Roundup long term weed preventer. It works well.

FDR wrote:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

TP wrote in
.rr.com:

[...]

Did you buy premixed ortho or concentrate?
I am thinking you were applying too high of a concentration.