Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing a hole in the bathroom floor

The super in my building replaced a rotted drain pipe under the bathtub
in my bathroom. To do this, he created a hole in the floor next to the
tub, deep enough to expose the pipe (but not deep enough to watch my
downstairs neighbor shower). When he finished replacing the pipe he
filled the hole with sand. What I want to do is to cover or fill that
hole. I don't want to bury the pipe in something so tough, that in the
event of another plumbing problem, I would not be able to get to it.
What would be my best choice? I don't care if the area gets retiled or
not.

Thank you
~ Avery

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
It seems to me that should have been part of the repair. Why are you
doing it?

I own the apartment and I'm responsible for most things, but not the
plumbing inside the walls. So if the super breaks the floor to fix a
pipe, then I'm responsible for fixing the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Oh, like a condo. Thanks for the information.

You're welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On 2 Aug 2006 10:09:45 -0700, wrote:

The super in my building replaced a rotted drain pipe under the bathtub
in my bathroom. To do this, he created a hole in the floor next to the
tub, deep enough to expose the pipe (but not deep enough to watch my
downstairs neighbor shower). When he finished replacing the pipe he
filled the hole with sand. What I want to do is to cover or fill that
hole. I don't want to bury the pipe in something so tough, that in the
event of another plumbing problem, I would not be able to get to it.
What would be my best choice? I don't care if the area gets retiled or
not.

Textured steel plate.

Sounds like a really flakey design for an apartment building/condo/coop,
burying horizontal pipe runs in a slab on an upper floor. Usually, even if
there is a slab for a firebreak, the horizontal runs are below that, and
above the finish ceiling below.

No way to make a good recommendation without seeing it, but I'd be inclined
to either pour the cut flush with gypcrete and then retile, or cover the
cut with backer board set on a stainless lip. Set the lip deep enough so the
tile over the patch is same level as the existing floor. It'd take a hell of
a tile guy to make it look right, but it would be doable. Think floor access
plate in a locker room. Secure the plate with countersunk stainless screws
going into stainless threaded bushings set in the concrete holding the lip.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In that case let the super worry about breaking through your patching
material.
I am assuming the floor was a mortar bed, you can use mortar or sand
mix.

wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
It seems to me that should have been part of the repair. Why are you
doing it?

I own the apartment and I'm responsible for most things, but not the
plumbing inside the walls. So if the super breaks the floor to fix a
pipe, then I'm responsible for fixing the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's actually not right (at least where I come from). Although the floor
covering is technically "yours", if the building corporation needs to access
their infrastructure through your covering, it is up to them to make it
good.

Just vaccuum the sand out, and fill it with quickset concrete. It's all
their problem next time....

wrote in message
oups.com...