Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Under sink water filter install ques

My kitchen is currently apart so while there's plenty of room to work
my wife
wants an under the sink water filter system put in. I was looking at
some double filter units.
The filter will go to a seperate faucet.

Will this work:
Put a tee on the cold filter line (after the cut-off) with a threaded
male adapter on the output that will go to the water filter.
Use a metal jacketed hose to go from the adapter to the filter.
Another one from the filter to the faucet (or use hoses that come with
unit)

If we don't actually install the filter immediately, then is there an
adaper that I can screw onto the male adapter to cap the line?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

If there is enough slack, why not connect the "filtered" water line to
the "T"? Then when you get the filter, put it in.

There are pipe caps, but they are for iron pipe. How about a shutoff
valve from the "T" to the filter. Close it for now, then open it later,
or remove it. They are cheap enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pardon my plumbing ignorance, but all the models I looked at had
plastic tubing with a threaded adapter, so how would it directly
connect to a tee with it's 'sweat' ends?
Or do they make tee's with a threaded male end?

professorpaul wrote:
If there is enough slack, why not connect the "filtered" water line to
the "T"? Then when you get the filter, put it in.

There are pipe caps, but they are for iron pipe. How about a shutoff
valve from the "T" to the filter. Close it for now, then open it later,
or remove it. They are cheap enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"saag" wrote in message
The filter will go to a seperate faucet.

Why? Seems like a PITA to have to use a special faucet. Savings in filters
will be minimal.

Will this work:
Put a tee on the cold filter line (after the cut-off) with a threaded
male adapter on the output that will go to the water filter.

Do you mean cold water line? If so, yes, it should work.

Another consideratin is to put the filter in the basement if you have one
under the kitchen. Easier to get to compared to changing inside a sink
cabinet.

If we don't actually install the filter immediately, then is there an
adaper that I can screw onto the male adapter to cap the line?

Every combination of fitting imaginable is available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:40:41 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Another consideratin is to put the filter in the basement if you have one
under the kitchen. Easier to get to compared to changing inside a sink
cabinet.

I second that suggestion !

We had an under-sink filter.
Changing the element was a messy job.
ie;
roll around on the floor,
remove "stuff" from under the sink,
, rassle the screw-on filter housing,
mop up all the spilled water, ....

Even though it's a "once-every-6-month" job,
I would put it somewhere more accessible next time.

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was looking at a GE under the sink double filter kit that got a good
rec from Consumer Reports. The filters just twist off.
You replace both the filter and the housing. The replacement costs
didn't seem out of line with diff models.
Putting in a second faucet for it is no big deal right now as were
gettign a new countertop and they'll cut the hole for it. It will only
be used for drinking water which will extend the filter life.

Personally I've somehow lasted all these years drinking city tap water,
but the mrs wants it and after all the costs of a new kitchen I can't
see making a stand on this issue.
At least I won't have to buy all those cases of bottled water anymore.

RJ wrote:
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:40:41 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Another consideratin is to put the filter in the basement if you have one
under the kitchen. Easier to get to compared to changing inside a sink
cabinet.

I second that suggestion !

We had an under-sink filter.
Changing the element was a messy job.
ie;
roll around on the floor,
remove "stuff" from under the sink,
, rassle the screw-on filter housing,
mop up all the spilled water, ....

Even though it's a "once-every-6-month" job,
I would put it somewhere more accessible next time.

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

"saag" wrote in message

Personally I've somehow lasted all these years drinking city tap water,
but the mrs wants it and after all the costs of a new kitchen I can't
see making a stand on this issue.
At least I won't have to buy all those cases of bottled water anymore.

Depends on what your water is like. Once you use filtered water for
drinking, tea, coffee, scotch, bourbon, etc, you may never go back to the
regular tap water.

As for buying water, we buy maybe a case a year. My wife has to be very
careful to get enough liquid intake so in warm weather we never leave the
house without a bottle. Take a half bottle and put it in the freezer. When
you leave, fill the bottle with the filtered tap water and you have very
cold water for hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"saag" wrote:
-snip-
Personally I've somehow lasted all these years drinking city tap water,
but the mrs wants it and after all the costs of a new kitchen I can't
see making a stand on this issue.

I chose not to fight that battle myself. I don't think she's ever
used it in 3-4 yrs. I, however, now notice the chlorine in our water
so I always use it.

At least I won't have to buy all those cases of bottled water anymore.

The 'kids' - 19 & 20- still go for the bottles. It aint the water,
it's the bottle. [I buy the cheapest bottled water & figure they're
ahead of the game if they aren't drinking pop.

Jim

Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green Naugahyde Home Repair 17 December 20th 17 08:34 PM
Stopping Kitchen Sink from leaking Charlie S. Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 12:16 AM
Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 01:42 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 03:01 AM