Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine basket rust - possible to fix, or buy new basket?

Hi, I have a 4-year old Kenmore Elite washer:

Serial: CK 4702946

Model# 110 20932993

The basket has spot rusts on it, around a few of the little holes. It's
starting to make rust marks on our clothes.

Is it possible to epoxy over the rust spots? Or will I have to buy a
new basket?

I currently have an Email to Sears to see if it's under warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jul 2006 10:12:05 -0700, "bryanska"
wrote:

Hi, I have a 4-year old Kenmore Elite washer:

Serial: CK 4702946

Model# 110 20932993

The basket has spot rusts on it, around a few of the little holes. It's
starting to make rust marks on our clothes.

Is it possible to epoxy over the rust spots? Or will I have to buy a
new basket?

I currently have an Email to Sears to see if it's under warranty.

My kenmore washer is rusty too.
I use an expensive spray can of white epoxy enamel paint on it after
sanding and wirebrushing the rust spots down to bare metal. Several
coats per instructions on the can.

It lasts about 3 years and then I do it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My kenmore washer is rusty too.
I use an expensive spray can of white epoxy enamel paint on it after
sanding and wirebrushing the rust spots down to bare metal. Several
coats per instructions on the can.

It lasts about 3 years and then I do it again.

Thanks, if it comes down to paying for a new basket, I'll try this
first.

Any recommendations on brands, etc of paint?

Also, how can you tell it's wearing out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, you might want to start removing your wet clothes from the
washer more quickly. Those rust marks don't transfer to clothes very
quickly. You must be leaving the clothes in the washer for quite some
time.

That's correct. We first noticed it then. Now we're removing them right
away, until we can get this fixed.

It's a very nice washer otherwise. All sorts of options. I can't afford
one as nice, if I had to buy new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi, I have a 4-year old Kenmore Elite washer:

Serial: CK 4702946

Model# 110 20932993

The basket has spot rusts on it, around a few of the little holes. It's
starting to make rust marks on our clothes.

Is it possible to epoxy over the rust spots? Or will I have to buy a
new basket?

I currently have an Email to Sears to see if it's under warranty.

There's a product called Extend used for automobiles. It reacts with
the rust, seals the metal, and turns black. Follow the directions
carefully. It is best to leave the lid in the open position after
every wash to dry out the basket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sears has the basket for $89, local pickup at any Sears store.

The basket porcelain has a lifetime warranty, and they will repair. The
visit, with labor, is between $110 and $140.

I found this site: http://fixitnow.com/sbrvrs/washers.htm

It details how the Kenmore direct-drive cabinets are opened. I am going
to pull the basket myself - this is an easy fix, now that I know how to
open the thing up.

I will post with any future discoveries or problems. Thanks for the
help everyone!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You will be spending almost half the value of a new unit. Baskets
are often well frozen onto a splined shaft and can be impossible
to remove. I think I would assure myself that I could get the
original basket to move before making the decision. You can
perform this experiment without taking the case apart.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sears has the basket for $89, local pickup at any Sears store.

The basket porcelain has a lifetime warranty, and they will
repair. The
visit, with labor, is between $110 and $140.

I found this site:
http://fixitnow.com/sbrvrs/washers.htm

It details how the Kenmore direct-drive cabinets are opened. I
am going
to pull the basket myself - this is an easy fix, now that I know
how to
open the thing up.

I will post with any future discoveries or problems. Thanks for
the
help everyone!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jul 2006 10:12:05 -0700, "bryanska"
wrotF:

Hi, I have a 4-year old Kenmore Elite washer:

Serial: CK 4702946

Model# 110 20932993

The basket has spot rusts on it, around a few of the little holes. It's
starting to make rust marks on our clothes.

Is it possible to epoxy over the rust spots? Or will I have to buy a
new basket?

I currently have an Email to Sears to see if it's under warranty.

POR-15 www.por15.com
It's made for car restoration but will solve ANY rusty metal problem.
You don't even have to remove all the rust..
But it's pretty expensive and once the can is opened, it cannot be
closed and re-used.
Comes in only one color - black
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but here goes. There is a
product made by ironout inc. that is supposed to clean out soap scum and
mineral deposits from the washer. It's called washer magic. It's somewhat
expensive, but may be worth looking into. If it is like most products of
this type, they recommend to use it every few months.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
On 30 Jul 2006 10:12:05 -0700, "bryanska"
wrotF:

Hi, I have a 4-year old Kenmore Elite washer:

Serial: CK 4702946

Model# 110 20932993

The basket has spot rusts on it, around a few of the little holes. It's
starting to make rust marks on our clothes.

Is it possible to epoxy over the rust spots? Or will I have to buy a
new basket?

I currently have an Email to Sears to see if it's under warranty.

POR-15 www.por15.com
It's made for car restoration but will solve ANY rusty metal problem.
You don't even have to remove all the rust..
But it's pretty expensive and once the can is opened, it cannot be
closed and re-used.
Comes in only one color - black

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jul 2006 11:46:48 -0700, "bryanska"
wrote:

My kenmore washer is rusty too.
I use an expensive spray can of white epoxy enamel paint on it after
sanding and wirebrushing the rust spots down to bare metal. Several
coats per instructions on the can.

It lasts about 3 years and then I do it again.

Thanks, if it comes down to paying for a new basket, I'll try this
first.

Any recommendations on brands, etc of paint?

Also, how can you tell it's wearing out?

I depend on the store guy to tell me the best brand. But avoid the
bargain brand 99cent stuff.

Rust will start to appear at either your paint job or in new places.
Bleach products will make stainless steel rust, so you bank on it that
it's gonna happen again. Plan for it. That means plan on replacing
your washer.

I agree with removing clothes as soon as the buzzer goes off, which
will guarantee no rust stains

Also leave the lid up and let it dry out between wash days and also
wipe it down with an old towel before adding clothes to wash.

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree.
The washer will have something else fail 22 days after spending $140
on a basket - assuming you can get it off without breaking something
else.

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:38:54 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

You will be spending almost half the value of a new unit. Baskets
are often well frozen onto a splined shaft and can be impossible
to remove. I think I would assure myself that I could get the
original basket to move before making the decision. You can
perform this experiment without taking the case apart.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sears has the basket for $89, local pickup at any Sears store.

The basket porcelain has a lifetime warranty, and they will
repair. The
visit, with labor, is between $110 and $140.

I found this site: http://fixitnow.com/sbrvrs/washers.htm

It details how the Kenmore direct-drive cabinets are opened. I
am going
to pull the basket myself - this is an easy fix, now that I know
how to
open the thing up.

I will post with any future discoveries or problems. Thanks for
the
help everyone!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
You will be spending almost half the value of a new unit. Baskets
are often well frozen onto a splined shaft and can be impossible
to remove. I think I would assure myself that I could get the
original basket to move before making the decision. You can
perform this experiment without taking the case apart.

Worth a shot. A new Kenmore with comparable features is $479 on
clearance from $599.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Technicians use a small bottle of appliance paint to cover rust. They
cost around 5 bucks or so. Get one at any parts counter. You might
also check the warranty on the basket. If you are still covered for
it, you would just pay labor to get it replaced. These baskets rarely
seize to the drive block.

kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 May 9th 06 03:33 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Home Repair 0 April 27th 06 10:16 AM
kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 2 March 29th 06 08:08 PM
Washing machine has filled up with water whilst turned off! pcyljmb UK diy 5 January 6th 06 12:45 AM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 02:09 AM