Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to put halves of building back together?

Everyone told me I could not move a steel covered pole barn,
particularly without cutting off the poles at ground level. Well, the
barn is now on my property. The barn is 18 ft. wide, and 27 ft. long.
The peak of the roof is about 15 feet, except the poles were in the
ground by 3 ft. So, by the time I jacked it up, got it on a wagon,
and set it on two long beams placed on top of blocks, it sat nearly 20
feet in the air.

I discovered that to move the entire building I'd have to use two hay
wagons (somehow) connected together. I decided that it would be
easier to remove the roof of the center section (all poles are spaced
9 ft. apart). I took the roof apart in the middle section, and
removed the two middle sections of walls. Then I used my tractor
loader to lift it out of the ground, get the wagon under it, and get
the beams under it the whoe thing. What I ended up with was two
sections standing on 5 poles (the right end and the left end). Plus
the two center section walls and roof in pieces. I pulled each
section home with my tractor.

I now have it standing on it's poles in roughly it's permanent
location, and well secured with come-alongs, cables and chains in case
we get winds.

Now comes the only problem. How in the heck do it get the ends to
lines up so when I insert the middle wall sections and roof, the walls
are straight? On top of that, I have to be real precise in spacing or
the walls and roof steel will not fit together properly. In other
words, the holes for the poles must be spaced precisely, and the two
ends of the building must be exactly lined up. I have been scratching
my head for several days trying to figure this out.

Does anyone know some way to get this lined up?
I have a tape measure, laser level, and string. But how do I do it?

Note, I stretched the string from end to end, and either the one end
is off, or the other, and then I am still not dealing with the spacing
between the two halves. Would I be better attaching the center walls
Before I dig the holes? One other thing to consider is that the walls
are not 100% straight from roof to ground after the move. I used
brace boards but there was some flexing after going thru several
steep and bumpy crop fields and then down our gravel road.

A laugh goes along with this. I asked the local sheriffs about taking
this down the road. I figured if they had a problem with it, I could
take it all the way thru fields and cattle pastures, but the road was
a much shorter and easier route. The sheriffs said that our road is
not a majorly used road, so just be careful and they advised I had
someone help direct traffic. Well, I got every one of the older
neighbor kids to volunteer to assist directing traffic ON HORSEBACK.
They had lots of fun. I got a good laugh too, because when we started
and one of the horses saw that barn moving, his eyes bugged out and he
decided it was time to spin around and run home. The boy had to get
another (more experienced) horse.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

that's a good story! something tells me that by the time you get the
peices back together, you could have taken the thing apart piece by
piece and put it back together. i'd say off hand that it is impossible
to cut a pole building into pieces and put it back together to that the
steel fits again. but then i woulda said the pyramids couldn't be
built either. my advice would be to forget about trying to get the
steel to fit. just add some sort of flashing (a box built out of 2x
covered in coil stock?) over the seams. could even be decorative.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's my proposal (and I realize that it's more work).

Plan A: Your move strategy divided the structure into thirds (A,B and
C). Section B in the middle was disassembled.
To re-assemble it, first install the whole sections (A and C) together
with no gap in the middle, creating AC (18x18) sharing a common set of
poles between them.
Since section B is in pieces, add the necessary poles on either end
(your choice) to make BAC or ACB. Remove the sidewall material as
needed and re-install it on the outer side of B, then add the roof and
back wall of B to finish.

Plan B: Place poles for section B in the ground first, ensuring that
they are spaced so that the available material will cover that area
(it might be a bit less than 9' wide).
Bring section A in place to connect with the left side of the
installed poles. Bring section C in place to connect with the right
side of the new poles. Cover roof and back wall of area B with
available material.
The resulting structure might not be as straight as you would like and
the overlap may between the 3 sections may be larger than before, but
it wasn't built in place and materials were re-used.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 05:41:08 -0500, wrote:

Everyone told me I could not move a steel covered pole barn,
particularly without cutting off the poles at ground level. Well, the
barn is now on my property. The barn is 18 ft. wide, and 27 ft. long.
The peak of the roof is about 15 feet, except the poles were in the
ground by 3 ft. So, by the time I jacked it up, got it on a wagon,
and set it on two long beams placed on top of blocks, it sat nearly 20
feet in the air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Mark-

I would suggest setting one of the "complete halves" first; dig the
holes for the poles so they're somewhat over sized, set the "half" in
place, true it up (but unfortunately you might not have "as built"
measurements?). Backfill (or set the poles however) so the first half
is set in place & can be used as solid starting point.

Next dig (again over sized) the holes for the second half; place the
second half

Using your equipment (loader, chains & come-alongs) jockey the second
half around to allow the center section to fit, measure the center
section pieces as you go so you have an idea about which part of the
second half need to be moved around to fit.

I think your project is doable but most likely you'll have to redrill
someone of the fastener holes.

cheers
Bob

Depending on how succesful you are ar

House Building Secrets Ebook markmcc Home Ownership 0 June 19th 05 12:34 PM
Siting a Shed - Building Regs [email protected] UK diy 14 June 6th 05 05:23 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 08:53 PM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 01:35 AM
Building Warrants - Buying Flat Without L Reid UK diy 6 July 16th 03 04:54 PM