Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

Default Cedar Shakes over T1-11 Siding

Can I install cedar shakes over T 1-11 siding? We would like to install the
shakes over the existing siding. Any hints?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al wrote:
Can I install cedar shakes over T 1-11 siding? We would like to install the
shakes over the existing siding. Any hints?

There shouldn't be any problems AFAIK. You should check with both your
insance co and the local building department first. Cedar shakes are
banned outright in many places for roofs (I don't know about siding),
Many insurance companies won't insure if shakes are used.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al" wrote in message
. ..
Can I install cedar shakes over T 1-11 siding? We would like to install
the shakes over the existing siding. Any hints?

You dont install them over solid decking so they they can dry evenly when
they get wet to prevent warping. I also know you can by panels of shakes and
you just nail up the whole panel

Posted to alt.home.repair

For siding my house has had Cedar shakes on over siding for 40 years,
they are fine. Maybe for a roof you dont install them over decking but
maybe its just a cost issue. If you didnt put them over wood new cedar
homes would have no wall insulation value

Posted to alt.home.repair

They dont warp either and dry fine over wood sheeting as previous
poster misleadingly stated.