Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling

Hi,

I have a two story house with vaulted ceilings throughout. I had AC
put in last year, but the upstairs doesn't really cool down. The front
of the house has the biggest windows, and is West Facing, so it gets
all of the afternoon sun. Last year, I also replaced all of these
windows with much more efficient windows.

However, I can't get it below 80 degrees upstairs. And this can often
be when its cooler outside.

In examining my options, I noticed that I have NO vents on my roof. I
have all vaulted ceilings, so I don't have an attic. I do have some
soffit venting on either side of the slope of my roof.

Can I put turbine vents on the roof? Will this make a difference in
temperature for those upstairs rooms if I can cool the space between
the ceiling joists and the rafters? Again I have NO ATTIC.

Really, what I'm looking for is a way of removing that hot air from the
vaulted ceilings in the summer.

Any suggestions? Turbine vents appear to be an easy solution. Will
cooling the space between the roof and the ceiling help in cooling the
room below it?

- Thanks in advance,

Todd

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Todd wrote:
[...]

Maybe. Soffitt venting might be useful, _if_ it's of adequate inlet
area _and_ air coming in there can move up inside the roof deck and
escape somewhere. ,

Insulation between ceiling and roof deck could block airflow, unless
spacers were installed between insulation and roof deck. You mention
nothing about this.

Ridge vent could work, and is simple, elegant solution, depending on
stuff mentioned above. Thermostatically-controlled fan(s) with
mushroom-looking enclosure would work.

Ask locally, and/or visit big-box.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

But how is it that venting the this space will help remove the heat
from the ROOM below it? This is what I don't get. I understand venting
the soffit, but I don't know how that will allow the heat in the room
below (with the vaulted ceiling) to cool down.

Any thoughts on this?

- Thanks,

Todd

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Todd wrote:
I don't think that my vaulted ceiling is contructed in the way that you
suggest. I think that there aren't seperate channels, but rather an
area in between the rafters and the ceiling joists. I don't think they
are conected to each other, which would, as you suggest, create
seperate channels.

Having the roof decking on one side of the rafters and the the ceiling
on the other is the simplest, cheapest and direct way of creating a
vaulted ceiling and it gives maximum height. If yours is done with
seperate rafters for the roof and ceiling joists with a space in
between, then you could ventilate that by means other than a ridge
vent, like your turbine idea. However, I still think in that case, a
ridge vent is still the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I'm guessing that you have a n older house made before A/C or otherwise
doesn't have proper ducting for A/C. In order to get rid of the hot
air, you need a return air in an area where it's hot. If your lowest
return air grill in near the bottom of an upper floow (i.e. in the
floor itself or low on the wall) then you will need a return air placed
higher to draw in the hot air instead or recirculating the already
cooled air.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Todd wrote:
wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Hi, Todd.

How do you think the interior air (mostly) gets heated? Unless you
didn't tell us about the forge/smelter you're running in there, I'll
wager that the majority is coming from above. And you want to stop
that, by diverting it harmlessly (read: avoid roasting roof.)

Thus, if you dissipate heat from roof (see my previous about ridge
ventc, etc. too) it won't heat the innards. Infrared transmission can
move some serious energy.

You still haven't told us anything about what's between the ceiling and
the roof deck. Please investigate & report. You need to know this.

Once you control unwanted entry, then it makes sense to throw $ at
reducing the rest.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

The house wasn't built for A/C, it was built for heating. It does have
central heating, so added A/C wasn't a big deal since all of the duct
work was there. However,

a.) the ducts upstairs aren't as wide, to prevent TOO MUCH heat from
getting to the upstairs during the winter

b.) the return air upstaris was located at the bottom of a wall.

I put a second return air register as high as I could go right over the
existing return register, just 8 feet higher.

The problem is that the only air return occurs in the hallway, and not
in my bedrooms surrounding the hallway. And the bedrooms surrounding
the hallway have vaulted ceilings as well.

Its would be great if there was a way to get the hot air in the
bedrooms into the hallway and down the air return.

But still, i figured that venting the space between the ceiling and the
roof would better cool the room. I dunno.

- Todd

wrote:
I'm guessing that you have a n older house made before A/C or otherwise
doesn't have proper ducting for A/C. In order to get rid of the hot
air, you need a return air in an area where it's hot. If your lowest
return air grill in near the bottom of an upper floow (i.e. in the
floor itself or low on the wall) then you will need a return air placed
higher to draw in the hot air instead or recirculating the already
cooled air.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Todd wrote:
I have a two story house with vaulted ceilings throughout. I had AC
put in last year, but the upstairs doesn't really cool down. The front
of the house has the biggest windows, and is West Facing, so it gets
all of the afternoon sun. Last year, I also replaced all of these
windows with much more efficient windows.

What did the contractor's heat gain calculation say that you needed in
BTU to cool the house, and how big a system did they put in? Is it
zoned?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Todd wrote:
[...]

Get a ladder.

Is the ceiling significantly hotter than the air around it? If so, the heat
in the air is coming from the ceiling.

If not, the heated air is coming from the rest of the house (heat rises).

Also, think trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have insulation in the roof, how much, that is a first concern
affecting your usage winter and summer. When I had AC retrofitted I had
a second floor return added, I am able to reduce 1st floor suplies and
returns by 60% or more to force AC upstairs. Ive checked the temp just
over my cooling coil and have little difference as a result of reduced
airflow. Your set up was for heat before adding AC, heat rises, you can
rebalance your system a bit to help also leaving your fan on 24x7 wil
help alot. Just static venting a cathedral may not be the issue or help.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 27 Jul 2006 15:22:17 -0700, "Todd"
wrote:

Thats a good thought. I will check with a ladder.

I imagine that its a combo of things - the heat rising, AND the roof
collecting heat.

Exactly.

A couple of points.
1. If at all possible, leave the heated air in your vaulted
ceilings. No fans are anything to disturb the hot air. It is where
it should stay. The temp below can be 5 degrees cooler if you don't
disturb it.

2. Your house should have been built with ridge vents all over your
roof. And there should a channel for the air to travel up from soffit
to ridge vent. Lowe's sells them. And of course lots of insulation
directly behind your cathederal ceiling. When you reroof, fix it.
Or else rip out the sheetrock and fix it when you get fed up with high
energy bills and hot house.

3. You definitely need two separate units until you fix the problems.

HeyBub wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

HeyBub wrote:

Get a ladder.

Or an IR thermometer.

Is the ceiling significantly hotter than the air around it? If so, the heat
in the air is coming from the ceiling.

I guess we need the ladder to measure the air temp.
Aim the thermometer at a piece of paper...

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 28 Jul 2006 05:34:07 -0400, wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Aim the thermometer at a piece of paper...

Nick

Why paper?
Do you get false readings otherwise?

What should I beware of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Jul 2006 09:24:04 -0700, "Todd"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a two story house with vaulted ceilings throughout. I had AC
put in last year, but the upstairs doesn't really cool down. The front
of the house has the biggest windows, and is West Facing, so it gets
all of the afternoon sun. Last year, I also replaced all of these
windows with much more efficient windows.

I'm sure that if the sun is shining on the windows you have heat
coming in through them. Put shades or tinting on the windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

JimL wrote:

wrote:

Aim the thermometer at a piece of paper...

Why paper? Do you get false readings otherwise?

Maybe. You can't read an air temp with an IR thermometer, because air
is transparent to low-temp IR radiation. If you aim an IR thermometer
at an indoor surface, you will get the temp of the indoor surface, which
may be warmer or cooler than the air temp. One way around that is to
aim it at a piece of paper, ideally after waving the paper in the air
to ensure it's close to the air temp, even if other surfaces exchange
radiant energy with the paper.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

RTFM. Some infared thermometers don't read well off shiny surfaces.
Mine suggested a hit of masking tape,a nd then read the masking tape.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

HeyBub wrote:

Aim the thermometer at a piece of paper...

Nick

Why paper?
Do you get false readings otherwise?

What should I beware of?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:45:53 -0500, JimL wrote:

A couple of points.
1. If at all possible, leave the heated air in your vaulted
ceilings. No fans are anything to disturb the hot air. It is where
it should stay. The temp below can be 5 degrees cooler if you don't
disturb it.

That's what I thought. The fans are good in the winter, to blow the
hot air from the top of the room down to where you are, but in the
summer doing that just makes one hotter. Right?

There is a slight breeze from slow ceiling fans, but a better breeze
is created by a table fan that blows low altitude cool air on you,
rather than ceiling level hot air.

Of course the hot air will get cooled by the AC, but why bother, when
it can just stay in the upper altitudes of the room, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

mm wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:45:53 -0500, JimL wrote:

A couple of points.
1. If at all possible, leave the heated air in your vaulted
ceilings. No fans are anything to disturb the hot air. It is where
it should stay. The temp below can be 5 degrees cooler if you don't
disturb it.

That's what I thought. The fans are good in the winter, to blow the
hot air from the top of the room down to where you are, but in the
summer doing that just makes one hotter. Right?

Wrong. Ceiling fans blowing downward, with the AC running is always
going to feel cooler. Your AC vents are either located high up on the
wall or in the ceiling. So when the AC is blowing, the cool air is
going to blow above the fan creating a "cool breeze" effect. Fans on
vaulted ceilings should hang about 8ft from the floor.

There is a slight breeze from slow ceiling fans, but a better breeze
is created by a table fan that blows low altitude cool air on you,
rather than ceiling level hot air.

With a good fan you get much more than a slight breeze. I suggest "The
Hunter Original" 56" fan for the larger rooms.

I've owned 3 houses with vaulted ceilings and the "Hunter Original" is
the only fans I have ever used in the larger rooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 29 Jul 2006 00:43:26 -0700, wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

So you like to take that hot air trapped in the vaulted ceiling and
spread it around eh?

Big stupid mistake, but to each his own.

Ps: my electric bill is less than yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

mm wrote:
[...]

If you have hot air "trapped" in your ceiling that is 5 degrees warmer
than the room temperature, than you, my friend, have some insulation
problems. Or worse.

Big stupid mistake, but to each his own.

http://www.progress-energy.com/about...eilingfans.asp

How Ceiling Fans Save Energy
Fans used to supplement air conditioning save energy by permitting a
higher thermostat setting. Air movement from the fan evaporates
moisture on the skin and makes a person feel cooler. With this cooling
effect, most people can raise their thermostat three to four degrees
and feel just as comfortable. And that can mean savings of around 25
percent on your cooling costs. For every degree you raise the air
conditioning thermostat, you can save 7 percent to 10 percent on
cooling costs. However, there are no energy savings if you use a
ceiling fan and do not raise the air conditioning thermostat.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...ss_summer.html

Install ceiling fans - they make it feel at least four degrees cooler
during the summer.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...s_at_home_tips

Ceiling Fan w/ lighting: Ceiling fans can provide more than comfort.
Depending on when and how you operate them, they can also help you save
on your energy bills. In summer, run the blades counter-clockwise
(downward) to cool more efficiently. On hotter days, dialing up the
thermostat by only 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower air
conditioning costs by almost 15% over the course of the cooling season.
Use ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs in the ceiling fan light fixture for
cooler running light bulbs and more energy savings. And remember:
Ceiling fans cool only people, not the room, so when you leave the room
turn the ceiling fan off.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/homesandrentals/qt/fans.htm

Why a Ceiling Fan
Just the movement of the air inside the house in the summer may be
enough to lower that thermostat for a couple of degrees, and save you
money on those summertime electric bills. You might save between 10%
and 40%! That means that the ceiling fans could easily pay for
themselves over just one or two summers in hot climates.
Ceiling fans don't lower the temperature in the room, they just provide
a breeze that can make you feel at least 5° cooler. Make sure the
ceiling fan blades are rotating counter-clockwise for a cooling effect.
That's the direction most ceiling fans need to move to get a downdraft.

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/Pubs/energynotes/en-13.htm

Conclusion
In the hot, humid Southeast, fans can make people more comfortable and
reduce air conditioning costs. They can improve interior ventilation
and allow thermostat settings to be raised without sacrificing comfort.
The use of ceiling fans and oscillating fans are effective cooling
measures that should be considered and implemented where feasible by
any homeowner in the southeast.

http://www.hunterfaninternational.co...php?origx=38#6

6. How do fans cool the room - do they actually lower the temperature?
A ceiling fan cools by creating a wind chill effect; it does not lower
the room temperature. Wind chill effect makes you feel cooler by
accelerating the evaporation of perspiration on your skin. It is the
feeling you get when you open the window in a moving car. If you have a
ceiling fan in a room whose temperature is 27 degrees Celcius, running
the fan can create a wind chill effect that makes you feel as if the
temperature is 23 degrees Celcius. When used in conjunction with an air
conditioner, a ceiling fan can lower energy costs, because you can set
the thermostat of your air conditioner at a higher temperature.

7. Can the fan be used in the winter for any beneficial purpose?
A ceiling fan can help lower energy consumption in the winter by up to
10%. The temperature of the air in a heated room varies in layers; the
air near the ceiling is warmer than the air near the floor, because
warm air rises. A ceiling fan can help push the warmer air that is
trapped near the ceiling back down into the room, thus de-stratifying
the layers of warm air. As a result, the warm air is circulated where
it is needed, and the heating system does not overwork to warm the
room. To properly de-stratify a warmed room, the ceiling fan should be
run in a clockwise direction. This pushes the air up against the
ceilings and down the walls, to gently re-circulate the warm air
without creating a cooling wind chill effect.

Ps: my electric bill is less than yours.

My monthly gas bill for my car is less than yours. What kind of dumbass
comment is that?

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Junior Member

This is a common problem with vaulted ceilings. The best way to correct is expensive but works everytime. You must run 1 1/2' x 1 1/2'' lath strips vertically up your entire roof line to serve as venting strips, then install what is know as nail base ISO board over the lath. A new roof must then be installed over the nail base. The ISO board nail base comes with different R-Values based upon the thickness selected. You also must use a vented eave strip at eaves and ridge to allow venting under the nail base. This can be done in sections if the roof has different levels. Contact us at Roofing Dallas- Ft Worth- Arlington- Coppell- Irving -Hurst for further information. If you live in the Dallas Ft Worth area we can install this for you.

[...]

Todd[/quote]

Last edited by Allstate Roofing and Cons : July 19th 12 at 03:44 AM