Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

One other thing. I used some anti-sieze on all threads. What can I
use to remove it before I use the JB Weld (if I do)? I dont think it
will hold good to that stuff. Will carb cleaner remove it?

Thanks

Mark

*Damn I hate working on exhaust systems*
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:26:49 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Huh...... A helicoil ........
You lost me ????
What's a helicoil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:26:49 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Huh...... A helicoil ........
You lost me ????
What's a helicoil?

Google is your friend! : )

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jb wont work on it. ge the threads repaired by heli coil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

good to 600 degrees
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:21:10 -0400, Curmudgeon
wrote:

m Ransley wrote:
JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

good to 600 degrees

I have a tube but haven't used JB Weld. I've used PC70 a lot, and I
patched a little pot with it, then boiled water, forgot and boiled out
all the water, and that continued to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:57:42 -0500, (m Ransley)
wrote:

JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

They state it's 600deg F.
However, I have no idea how hot a manifold gets (by numerical degrees)

Mark