Posted to alt.home.repair

Default string trimmer carb problem

I have a fairly new Ryobi string trimmer. When it's stone cold, it
starts fairly well, and starts good at operating temperature if it
doesn't sit around for more than about 1 minute.

When the trimmer sits for more than a minute or two "hot," it won't
start for love nor money. The problem is that there is no gas in the
line! Gas won't stay in the line. I choke it and pull to get gas to the
carb, but by the time I unchoke and pull again to start it, the gas has
all boiled back up into the tank. I use the primer bulb to fill the
fuel line, and as soon as I stop pumping, the gas bubbles back up into
the tank!

What is going on? What can I do about it? I suspect an air leak, but I
can't find one. All the fuel lines look solid and intact.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like vaporlock. See if a different Low octane gas helps, a
thick carb to motor gasket might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
It sounds like vaporlock. See if a different Low octane gas helps, a
thick carb to motor gasket might help.

I knew there was a technical term for it, but I've got so many
technical terms running through my head these days... Thanks.