Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad wood floors

I have engineered light oak wood floors. My Male dog has sprayed on many
parts of it. As we started to discover the black stains on the floor we
found out that pet urine penetrates from the bottom up. I have recently
seen a lot of wood floors being painted. Is there a painting process that
I can do to salvage my floors.

Thanks
ES/Fl
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I am sure that there are many good floor paints out there, BUT the paint
will do nothing for the urine that has soaked between the boards and
discoloured them. You will never get the smell of urine out unless you
remove the urine itself.

"Louie" wrote in message
news:4a61d27d7a18af1345cd58285d7a93ee@homerepairli ve.com...
I have engineered light oak wood floors. My Male dog has sprayed on many
parts of it. As we started to discover the black stains on the floor we
found out that pet urine penetrates from the bottom up. I have recently
seen a lot of wood floors being painted. Is there a painting process that
I can do to salvage my floors.

Thanks
ES/Fl

Posted to alt.home.repair

Consult an industrial chemical supply place near you - yellow pages -
there are enzymes that might help with neytralizing the odor. I was
successful in eliminating cat odor from a rental that was really bad.
If you do get the smell out I'd suggest a darker wood stain - painting
wood floors devlaues on re-sell.

"Louie" wrote in message
news:4a61d27d7a18af1345cd58285d7a93ee@homerepairli ve.com...
I have engineered light oak wood floors. My Male dog has sprayed on many
parts of it. As we started to discover the black stains on the floor we
found out that pet urine penetrates from the bottom up. I have recently
seen a lot of wood floors being painted. Is there a painting process that
I can do to salvage my floors.

Thanks
ES/Fl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Louie" wrote in message
news:4a61d27d7a18af1345cd58285d7a93ee@homerepairli ve.com...
I have engineered light oak wood floors. My Male dog has sprayed on many
parts of it. As we started to discover the black stains on the floor we
found out that pet urine penetrates from the bottom up. I have recently
seen a lot of wood floors being painted. Is there a painting process that
I can do to salvage my floors.

Nothing on the top surface is going to solve the problem of urine soaking up
from the leak between the joints and saturation of the wood below. Best
thing to do is remove the flooring, and either put down sheet goods or
remove the dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Louie wrote:
I have engineered light oak wood floors. My Male dog has sprayed on
many parts of it. As we started to discover the black stains on the
floor we found out that pet urine penetrates from the bottom up. I
have recently seen a lot of wood floors being painted. Is there a
painting process that I can do to salvage my floors.

Cover the floor with plastic sheeting. Then carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cover the floor with plastic sheeting. Then carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice. For those above. I no longer have a urine smell at
all.The only thing I have left is the marks were it occured. I have seen
a lot of designs in painting the floors. I was unsure of the type of paint
that would not only cover up the stain ( keep it from showing through)but
also not peel or chip.