Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repost of Hotpoint Range Question

I guess all our appliance whizzes mut be vacationing. I'll repost my
question in case someone is online today. Thanks.

Hi all....
I have a 30" free-standing Hotpoint range that is 8 years old. It is a
self-clean model and the self clean does not function either. All 4
burners function but today the entire clock mechanism and the oven/broiler
no longer function. Anyone have some thoughts if this is an " easy" fix.
OR is it worth repairing at all considering it is 8 years old and the
kitchen will be remodeled in about 3 months. I'm guessing that it would
probably run a minimum of $175. to $200 for a control board/ part and the
service call. Thanks for any input. John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John F." wrote in message

I have a 30" free-standing Hotpoint range that is 8 years old. It is a
self-clean model and the self clean does not function either. All 4
burners function but today the entire clock mechanism and the oven/broiler
no longer function. Anyone have some thoughts if this is an " easy" fix.
OR is it worth repairing at all considering it is 8 years old and the
kitchen will be remodeled in about 3 months. I'm guessing that it would
probably run a minimum of $175. to $200 for a control board/ part and the
service call. Thanks for any input. John

I'm not a whiz, but..

You fail to state if this is gas or electric. People refer to "burners" in
both cases.

Not sure, what the svc call would be, but you do not even know if this model
has a control board. Fancy electronic appliances have control boards, but
certainly not all. Eight years is not old for a range, unless you abuse it.
Certainly would be cheaper to fix, even if it's $200.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RichK" wrote in message

"John F." wrote in message

[...]

The fix will be easy, it's the diagnosis that's important

This is why I prefer ranges with knobs. I would guess that you have one
with at least an electronic (digital) clock and timer functions but the
surface ranges are controlled by knobs.

Even if the main oven is controlled by knobs the failed control board may be
disabling the oven via the way it does it when you use the timer. Self
clean interlock and timer is probably also controlled by that module.

If the clock is dead, its safe to say the module is either fried or there
may be an internal fuse or reset. Try flicking off the breaker for the
range and turning it back on to see if that resets everything. Next call
the support number in the manual for knowledgable advice on what might
actually be wrong. They won't tell you how to fix a module but they will
definitively debug it to that level with you. They can also tell you the
correct part# so you can look for the best price. They may not also tell
you how to replace it, its up to you if you think you can handle it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

"RichK" wrote in message

"John F." wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the input. The range does have digital clock, timer and cook
time and the surface burners are knobs as you suspected as is the oven/
broiler/slef-clean. Tried a breaker off for 1 minute and then on but it
did not work any magic. I asked GEif they could give me some idea on what
part/s have failed but they only would tell me to call a service man. I
haven't taken the panels off yet to see if there is any internal fuse or
breaker. Will try that. Thanks. John