Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Peeling textured finish on garage ceiling & walls

Most of the textured finish and tape is peeling from the ceiling and
walls of my two-car attached garage. The standard interior drywall was
not primed or prepped, nail heads are rusty. My plan is to scrape off
the loose texture and sand off the area still adhered, re-tape the
joints and apply a coat of paint primer before a finish coat of
exterior latex. Any suggestions different from the plan or
recommendations for materials?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimB wrote:
Most of the textured finish and tape is peeling from the ceiling and
walls of my two-car attached garage. The standard interior drywall was
not primed or prepped, nail heads are rusty. My plan is to scrape off
the loose texture and sand off the area still adhered, re-tape the
joints and apply a coat of paint primer before a finish coat of
exterior latex. Any suggestions different from the plan or
recommendations for materials?

You will find it easier and less dusty if you spray a small area with
warm water before scraping it off. Just use a pump sprayer and a wide
taping knife. Cover your hair and eyes because it is messy scraping
overhead. Covering the floor with a disposable drop cloth will aid
in clean up.

Mudding and taping overhead is a tough job since you have your arms
overhead the whole time. Also, imperfections in a taped and painted
ceiling tend to draw the eye. those are the reasons a textured surface
is used in the first place and why you might want to just re-apply a
new texture. It's far less work than taping, mudding, and painting.

it's no big deal to apply texture. You can use a hopper gun and and
air compressor to apply a finish called popcorn for example. It is far
less trouble than all that other stuff. Of course you know what yu
want and for sure a painted surface is less maintenance since it is a
hassle to clean or paint a textured ceiling compared to a smooth
surface.

lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimB wrote:
Most of the textured finish and tape is peeling from the ceiling and
walls of my two-car attached garage. The standard interior drywall was
not primed or prepped, nail heads are rusty. My plan is to scrape off
the loose texture and sand off the area still adhered, re-tape the
joints and apply a coat of paint primer before a finish coat of
exterior latex. Any suggestions different from the plan or
recommendations for materials?

go here and read up:
http://drywallschool.com/