Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical question about splicing into one hot wire for a light from a set of hots for 220 circuit

My Wife's mother wants a install an outdoor lighting fixture on the side of the house where there is no convenient power access.
Instead of having to run a new 110v circuit 150ft, we were wondering about a nearby 220v circuit that feeds 1 evap cooler.
Can we branch off from one of the hot 110 v lines to power an outdoor light using 2 90watt bulbs? will this lower the voltage of the tapped
into hot line and cause a fault or power issue for the evap cooler? would tapping into each hot lines with only 1 90 watt bulb. be more
viable solution. Or should we immediately stop thinking of such ridiculous things and smack ourselves for even thinking of such possibilities? hehe
It just seems awefully expensive to accomodate this lighting desire. Can we extend off of a 110v receptacle circuit provided the wiring is suitable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article vJqtg.37942$AB3.24626@fed1read02, wrote:
My Wife's mother wants a install an outdoor lighting fixture on the side of the
house where there is no convenient power access.
Instead of having to run a new 110v circuit 150ft, we were wondering about a
nearby 220v circuit that feeds 1 evap cooler.
Can we branch off from one of the hot 110 v lines to power an outdoor light
using 2 90watt bulbs? will this lower the voltage of the tapped
into hot line and cause a fault or power issue for the evap cooler? would
tapping into each hot lines with only 1 90 watt bulb. be more
viable solution. Or should we immediately stop thinking of such ridiculous
things and smack ourselves for even thinking of such possibilities? hehe
It just seems awefully expensive to accomodate this lighting desire. Can we
extend off of a 110v receptacle circuit provided the wiring is suitable?

No offense intended, but you don't seem to understand this stuff well enough
to do it safely. Please hire a pro, or at least get hold of a few books so you
can learn how to do it right. Improper wiring can kill.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My Wife's mother wants a install an outdoor lighting fixture on the
side of the house where there is no convenient power access.
Instead of having to run a new 110v circuit 150ft, we were wondering
about a nearby 220v circuit that feeds 1 evap cooler.
Can we branch off from one of the hot 110 v lines to power an outdoor
light using 2 90watt bulbs? will this lower the voltage of the
tapped
into hot line and cause a fault or power issue for the evap cooler?
would tapping into each hot lines with only 1 90 watt bulb. be more
viable solution. Or should we immediately stop thinking of such
ridiculous things and smack ourselves for even thinking of such
possibilities? hehe It just seems awefully expensive to accomodate
this lighting desire. Can we extend off of a 110v receptacle circuit
provided the wiring is suitable?

Yes it can be done, BUT. You need to make sure that that 240V circuit
has a neutral as well as a ground included (at least four wires) As the
others have suggested, I will also. There are a few possible glitches that
may come up and you may will miss one and end up with a dangerous situation
if you want to do this yourself. I suggest hiring a professional. Also
make sure you get a permit, it would not be good to find out that your home
fire insurance will not pay off because of un-authorized wiring.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:08:59 GMT, wrote:

My Wife's mother wants a install an outdoor lighting fixture on the side of the house where there is no convenient power access.
Instead of having to run a new 110v circuit 150ft, we were wondering about a nearby 220v circuit that feeds 1 evap cooler.
Can we branch off from one of the hot 110 v lines to power an outdoor light using 2 90watt bulbs? will this lower the voltage of the tapped
into hot line and cause a fault or power issue for the evap cooler? would tapping into each hot lines with only 1 90 watt bulb. be more
viable solution. Or should we immediately stop thinking of such ridiculous things and smack ourselves for even thinking of such possibilities? hehe
It just seems awefully expensive to accomodate this lighting desire. Can we extend off of a 110v receptacle circuit provided the wiring is suitable?

I'd do it in a heartbeat - IF I had a good neutral for the 220V
circuit. One hot plus the neutral equal normal 110v circuit, almost.

How about getting some 100 watt fluorescent bulbs? That would cut
your draw down on your evaporative system by 2/3 or more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimL wrote:
[...]

Do you mean 23-watt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:27:55 -0500, JimL wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:05:20 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

JimL wrote:
[...]

Exactly. The package says 100 watts worth of light but only uses 23
watts.

and the "watts" in an (incandescent) 100W bulb is electrical
consumption, not light output. Incandescent bulbs aren't very
efficient, so the light output is considerably less.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
wrote:

JimL wrote:
[...]

Lumens is the measure of light output. Watts is the measure of
electrical energy you're putting into the thing. What they're
saying is that they put put the same light (lumens) as a 100W light
bulb while consuming less than 1/4 the electricity.

Look at the lumens of any light bulb and compare that with the
watts.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:16:01 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

JimL wrote:
[...]

The package says 100 watts in big bold print.

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...

[...]