Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default Service entrance through gutters

I am replacing the service entrance on my house, and the electric
company says it need to be above my roof. The problem is that the
house does not have overhanging eves (the roof ends right at the
outside wall, and there is a gutter there).

How can I get the pipe for the service entrance through the gutter.
The way I see it, I can do one of 3 things.
1) either have the pipe bent, or shim out the meter and pipe about 4
inch from the wall.
2) bend the pipe so it goes inside the wall
3) cut the gutter, lift it so it drains away from the pipe, and put in
flashing (but there will still be a gap in the gutter.

None of these sound like great ideas. Does anyone have any better
ideas or can you tell me if it is possible to havea 2 in steel pipe
bent to go out 4 more inched; and if there are brackets that will hold
the pipe 6-8 inches away from the wall.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Use a recessed box instead of a surface mount and the SE conduit will be in
the wall entirely. Easier said than done since that conduit is 2" and the
header in the wall is probably a 2x4. This dosen't leave much wood for the
cap on the wall but you don't need all that much in a finished wall. Maybe
you can reinforce the cut beam with metal strapping.

You might also look for a box you can mount above the meter with holes such
that you can offset the SE conduit. Basically a bigass J box.

Build an overhang and move the gutter out. Not practical either but
possible and may result in the best cosmetic solution

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am replacing the service entrance on my house, and the electric
company says it need to be above my roof. The problem is that the
house does not have overhanging eves (the roof ends right at the
outside wall, and there is a gutter there).

Is it a hip roof? How about moving it to the end of the wall?

Last question: Ask them what to do in this "exceptional" case?

They will usually work with you if there is no other solution.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"Ed" wrote:

I am replacing the service entrance on my house, and the electric
company says it need to be above my roof. The problem is that the
house does not have overhanging eves (the roof ends right at the
outside wall, and there is a gutter there).

Bite the $bullet and BURY the service.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Jul 2008 25:78:98 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article . com,
"Ed" wrote:

I am replacing the service entrance on my house, and the electric
company says it need to be above my roof. The problem is that the
house does not have overhanging eves (the roof ends right at the
outside wall, and there is a gutter there).

Bite the $bullet and BURY the service.

Or put a pole in the yard for the meter, put a main disconnect under
the meter, and run an underground feed into the house. This is common
on farms where there are several buildings being fed off the main.
Once past the meter, you can pretty much do whatever you want with the
wireing as long as it still meets code.

I have seen houses that have a 4x4 post sticking out of the roof right
behind the gutter. That works, but then you got to do all kinds of
flashing.

The gable end idea is probably the best solution, or else get a pole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well you could remove about 4" of gutter and cap each end providing
each run has a downspout, then you would use some cedar shingles to
make a ridge under the roofingto direct the water left and right into
the remaining gutters.
Still I think this is an inelegant solution.
Ed wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:
I am replacing the service entrance on my house, and the electric
company says it need to be above my roof. The problem is that the
house does not have overhanging eves (the roof ends right at the
outside wall, and there is a gutter there).

How can I get the pipe for the service entrance through the gutter.
The way I see it, I can do one of 3 things.
1) either have the pipe bent, or shim out the meter and pipe about 4
inch from the wall.
2) bend the pipe so it goes inside the wall
3) cut the gutter, lift it so it drains away from the pipe, and put in
flashing (but there will still be a gap in the gutter.

None of these sound like great ideas. Does anyone have any better
ideas or can you tell me if it is possible to havea 2 in steel pipe
bent to go out 4 more inched; and if there are brackets that will hold
the pipe 6-8 inches away from the wall.

If the conduit for the service entrance is above the roof,
what do they attach the strain-relief/carrier and drip-loop to?
In any case, you should be able to either buy pre-bent
sections of heavy conduit, or have the pipe bent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any muffler shop can bend to your needs

Ed wrote:
[...]

Crossing Electrical Service Entrance with Romex Branch Circuit BaC Home Repair 5 April 21st 05 03:27 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
SONY poor service Eric Electronics Repair 2 September 10th 03 04:28 AM