Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default Is oil primer for new wood best?

New fascia board with lots of knots. I had already primed it with 2
coats of Kilz Premium, but a painter told me that it would be best to
put an oil primer on because the knots will bleed through and stain the
finish at some point in the future.

Should I go over it with oil and should I use oil on any subsequently
replaced new fascia?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

al wrote:
New fascia board with lots of knots. I had already primed it with 2
coats of Kilz Premium, but a painter told me that it would be best to
put an oil primer on because the knots will bleed through and stain the
finish at some point in the future.

Should I go over it with oil and should I use oil on any subsequently
replaced new fascia?

He's right and yes...I'd also select clear material for trim in the
future (even at the burden of paying the premium for it).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
I had already primed it with 2
coats of Kilz Premium,

He's right and yes...I'd also select clear material for trim in the
future (even at the burden of paying the premium for it).

The purpose of Kilz is to hide the stains. Clear for fascia board?

I hope you're kidding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
New fascia board with lots of knots. I had already primed it with 2
coats of Kilz Premium, but a painter told me that it would be best to
put an oil primer on because the knots will bleed through and stain the
finish at some point in the future.

Should I go over it with oil and should I use oil on any subsequently
replaced new fascia?

Thanks.

Stick with Kilz (or equiv) and a quality 100% acrylic exterior paint:

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/faq6.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message

But the real intent of Kilz is mildew and an oil primer will do far
better for preventing seep-thru of pine pitch.

OK, I did some checking. From the Kilz web site:
To block tannin stains:

KILZ Exterior, or KILZ Premium primers

KILZ Premium primer can be used as a tannin sealer and undercoater on all
types of exterior wood. NOTE: Because of the variances in wood substrates,
even multiple coats may not stop tannin or resin stains on all wood surfaces
and knots.

And, I said (and was thinking) "trim" rather than just a fascia board.
But even there, I'd still make a real effort for at least 1C rather
than run-of-the mill whatever comes out of the big-box stack...

Even clear for interior trim to be painted gets pricy. You do have to use
some care at the big box stores though. They do have some real crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jul 2006 07:56:21 -0700, "al" wrote:

New fascia board with lots of knots. I had already primed it with 2
coats of Kilz Premium, but a painter told me that it would be best to
put an oil primer on because the knots will bleed through and stain the
finish at some point in the future.

Should I go over it with oil and should I use oil on any subsequently
replaced new fascia?

Thanks.

The issue is that the knots may show through. That's why all the
knots are primed first, then the entire piece is primed such that the
knots get two coats. What is more likely to show through is resin
pockets, although some woods (like pine) are prone to this problem.
The shellac primer is probably the best coating for this issue. Oil
paints are particularly good.