Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway refinishing cure time?

I had my driveway redone-- they tore up the old driveway and put down
blacktop (presumably they put gravel underneath first but I wasn't
there to watch).

They finished on Monday afternoon and told me to wait three days before
driving on it. On Friday afternoon I parked on it (in NYC area this
month, and it rained hard on Tuesday).

Saturday after parking on the driveway a couple of times I noticed
indentations that seemed to be about the size of tire footprints. So
for the next couple of days I parked on it only at night, leaving the
car in the street during the hot daytime.

Was four days enough cure time? Will the indentations go away? Or
will they have to come back and put another layer of blacktop down to
give me a smooth driveway?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
I had my driveway redone-- they tore up the old driveway and put down
blacktop (presumably they put gravel underneath first but I wasn't
there to watch).

They finished on Monday afternoon and told me to wait three days
before driving on it. On Friday afternoon I parked on it (in NYC
area this month, and it rained hard on Tuesday).

Saturday after parking on the driveway a couple of times I noticed
indentations that seemed to be about the size of tire footprints. So
for the next couple of days I parked on it only at night, leaving the
car in the street during the hot daytime.

Was four days enough cure time? Will the indentations go away? Or
will they have to come back and put another layer of blacktop down to
give me a smooth driveway?

A few days should be enough. Mainly it just needs to cool. Very hot
weather will delay it some, but four days should have been plenty.

Without seeing how much of a dent you are talking about, it may be a
result of insufficient prep (compacting the gravel base) wrong base material
or bad materials or compaction of the blacktop material.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair