Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cast iron waste pipe in foundation rusted out - need repair options

The cast iron waste pipe from the kitchen sink has rusted out in the
foundation. The only option I have been given is to jackhammer the
foundation open and replace the pipe. This includes replacing kitchen
counters destoyed when they are removed for access. Any suggestions
will be appreciated. We are located in the Waco, Texas area.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
The cast iron waste pipe from the kitchen sink has rusted out in the
foundation. The only option I have been given is to jackhammer the
foundation open and replace the pipe. This includes replacing kitchen
counters destoyed when they are removed for access. Any suggestions
will be appreciated. We are located in the Waco, Texas area.

Speedy's got the right idea(s)..

Not clear what you mean by "foundation"--floor slab or through exterior
wall? As he pointed out, where it's headed and what it's tied into
could make a big difference. One potential issue could be that if the
house is old enough that you've reached the point of cast iron having
rusted out, it may be the whole line really will need replacing or you
will simply be resolving one problem to have another not far down the
road.

My other suggestion would be to find another plumber whose toolset
includes a brain rather than only brawn... Waco is large enough
you should have a fair choice...

And, of course, unless the cabinets are builtins, you should be able to
get a counter out of the way if absolutely necessary w/o destroying it.
Of course, it will take you much longer to do a removal/salvage than
the hired assassin is going to want to take (or your going to want to
pay an hourly rate for). Then again, unless it's a real expensive
counter top, you might well be able to just replace it fairly
inexpensively if you do it yourself and have a small upgrade to boot...