Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean a radiator?

Any suggestions on how to clean an old-fashioned steam radiator? The
spaces between the coils are filthy, and my vacuum cleaner's wand
won't fit in there!

Also, one of the radiators has a "humidifier" gadget -- a metal trough
inside the coils with a reservoir at the end for pouring in water.
It's filthy and covered with a heavy layer of scale, and I don't know
how to remove it to clean it. Do I just have to pull hard to get the
thing out? Or does it have to be disconnected somehow?
Posted to alt.home.repair

How hard would it be to just disconnect the whole thing and take it to
a car wash or pressure washer? This time of year you aren't using them
for heat most likely, and it would take the clean-up mess out of your
house. Just a though, not an experienced opinion.

Jonathan Sachs wrote:
Any suggestions on how to clean an old-fashioned steam radiator? The
spaces between the coils are filthy, and my vacuum cleaner's wand
won't fit in there!

Also, one of the radiators has a "humidifier" gadget -- a metal trough
inside the coils with a reservoir at the end for pouring in water.
It's filthy and covered with a heavy layer of scale, and I don't know
how to remove it to clean it. Do I just have to pull hard to get the
thing out? Or does it have to be disconnected somehow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jonathan Sachs writes:
Any suggestions on how to clean an old-fashioned steam radiator? The
spaces between the coils are filthy, and my vacuum cleaner's wand
won't fit in there!

Put a pan or towel underneath to catch any water and use a damp bottle
or (clean) toilet brush.

Also, one of the radiators has a "humidifier" gadget --

[...]
It's filthy and covered with a heavy layer of scale, and I don't know
how to remove it to clean it. Do I just have to pull hard to get the
thing out? Or does it have to be disconnected somehow?

Hard to say without seeing it... but again, I'd try a bottle brush,
perhaps a wire brush. A little white vinegar might help loosen the scale...

Of it's really rusty, and you can't get to it with a brush, look up
methods for cleaning old tools with electrolysis. In this case,
however, you would use the resevoir as the "bucket".

good luck

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

Narrow vac tools usualy come with the unit, once I took an old metal
extension piece and hammerd it thin to fit in the radiator.

Cold Radiator Kroma UK diy 4 December 3rd 05 10:26 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
Replacing radiator valve on a sealed combi central heating system William F UK diy 1 September 29th 05 12:06 PM
Cleaning VCR - need help and a diagram Mike Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 04 03:54 PM
Radiator not getting totally hot gna03633 UK diy 20 August 3rd 04 09:57 AM