Posted to alt.home.repair
JDL JDL is offline

Default how do I wire my shed for electricity?

I just need maybe 2 electrical outlets out in the shed, for running
overhead flourescent lights, radio, occasional power tool. I could do
without it, but it'd be nice, especially since i have bad eyes and need
decent lighting. Do I need to run a circuit from the fuse box out to the
shed? Or should I tap into an electrical outlet we have on the outside of
the house? Also, when I run the electrical wire out to the shed, I assume
it'll be automatically grounded -- from the main fusebox's ground? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's probably best to run a dedicated circuit from the panel. If the shed
isn't to far away You could run 12-2 UF cable and be sure to use GFCI
outlets at the shed

"JDL" wrote in message
I just need maybe 2 electrical outlets out in the shed, for running
overhead flourescent lights, radio, occasional power tool. I could do
without it, but it'd be nice, especially since i have bad eyes and need
decent lighting. Do I need to run a circuit from the fuse box out to the
shed? Or should I tap into an electrical outlet we have on the outside of
the house? Also, when I run the electrical wire out to the shed, I assume
it'll be automatically grounded -- from the main fusebox's ground?
Thanks.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

"JDL" wrote in message
I just need maybe 2 electrical outlets out in the shed, for running
overhead flourescent lights, radio, occasional power tool. I could
do without it, but it'd be nice, especially since i have bad eyes and
need decent lighting. Do I need to run a circuit from the fuse box
out to the shed? Or should I tap into an electrical outlet we have
on the outside of the house? Also, when I run the electrical wire
out to the shed, I assume it'll be automatically grounded -- from the
main fusebox's ground? Thanks.

Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

If you are doing only a couple of outlets, one GFCI will protect outlets
downline meaning it has to be the first outlet wired from where it comes
in the shed. The pkg insert should describe this in text and a diagram.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JDL wrote in
:

I just need maybe 2 electrical outlets out in the shed, for running
overhead flourescent lights, radio, occasional power tool. I could do
without it, but it'd be nice, especially since i have bad eyes and
need decent lighting. Do I need to run a circuit from the fuse box
out to the shed?

Local inspector will determine this but even if not required, while doing
"nice" things it may be nice.

Or should I tap into an electrical outlet we have on
the outside of the house? Also, when I run the electrical wire out to
the shed, ....

Again, find out from local inspections how deep it has to be and if it
has to be in any conduit.

... I assume it'll be automatically grounded -- from the main
fusebox's ground? Thanks.

If wired to a breaker at the box and bare wire is wired to ground, yes.

If tapping into an outside outlet is permitted and you tie the bare to
the bare in the outlet box and the outlet box bare is actually tied to
the panel box ground, yea....if that's what you mean by automatic.

BTW, that outside outlet should already be a GFCI by code. I would think
the shed would then be automatically GFCI if tapped to the load side of
the GFCI. I do not know if the run length from the GFCI outlet to the
shed has an effect on the protection. Here is the insert that comes with
Leviton GFCI's:

http://www.leviton.com/acenti/instal...g_Testing_GFCI
..pdf

News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:43:43 -0500, JDL
wrote:

I just need maybe 2 electrical outlets out in the shed, for running
overhead flourescent lights, radio, occasional power tool. I could do
without it, but it'd be nice, especially since i have bad eyes and need
decent lighting. Do I need to run a circuit from the fuse box out to the
shed? Or should I tap into an electrical outlet we have on the outside of
the house? Also, when I run the electrical wire out to the shed, I assume
it'll be automatically grounded -- from the main fusebox's ground? Thanks.

Without seeing your setup [meaning this isn't a HOW-TO], I would
suggest a few things.

Put in a small load center. Here is my thinking, if you are working
at night, and you overload a receptacle, it is better to trip a
breaker there, and seperate from your lights. This is a safety issue,
as well as a convienence. Keep your lights on.

Remember, follow local and national codes. I can tell you check
2005NEC Table 300.5 for your minium dept requirements for laying
underground cable. If you farm/till/garden, you need to think about
increasing your dept beyond the shallow depts allowed for certain
installations.

Most importantly, since we cannot see your setup, so this is just
guessing, drawup what you want to do(map, shed position, and house on
it), and get your local code enforcement person involved. Becareful,
if you have an older house, some local codes might require upgrades
before new installations are made.

Good luck and keep us in formed on your success.

imho,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com