Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Go-Kart engine problems (Briggs and Stratton)

My neighbor gave me his old go-kart and I fixed it up. The engine is giving
me problems, though. It is a typical 5HP Briggs engine. It had been rained
on with no air filter so I tore it down and cleaned it out and put it back
together with new gaskets. I think they might have run it bone dry of oil
because there was no oil in the crankcase but the cylinder and rings looked
ok to me. So did the valves. It turns over just fine. The carb was very
cruddy and I soaked it in carb dip and put it back together with new gaskets
and diaphram.

After I got it all back together I started it up and it ran decently for a
few hours. But then it started to run worse and worse. I bought a new carb
for it and installed it tonight but it obviously wasn't the problem. Even
with the new carb and with fresh gas it will only run with the choke all the
way on. The new carb doesn't have an idle adjustment screw so it seems like
it can't be a fuel problem. What else could it be? The only thing left is
spark and compression. It obviously has both of those because it runs and
had plenty of power when it was running OK which indicates compression is
probably OK. I made sure the gas cap isn't blocked.

Any ideas what I should check next? Or what I should recheck?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I thought about timing but it has a magnet and coil so is it even possible
for the timing to be off? I'll have to investigate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

PS The gas tank looks pretty rusty inside but it doesn't make the gas turn
rusty looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Gary H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If it runs with the choke on, it must be not getting enough fuel. Have you
checked
for intake leaks, loose carb, etc. Crud in the tank could have plugged a carb
jet.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Have you checked the fual line?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

timing is set by the key in the flywheel/crankshaft.If the flywheel gets
loose it can partially shear this key throwing off the timing.
Check your compression.
did you check the valve clearance when you had it down...proper valve
seating has more to do with compression than rings on these engines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

How do I check compression on a small engine? I have a compression gauge
for cars. Will it work? I think the timing is fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It doesn't have a fuel line. The carb sits on top of the tank. Its a brand
new carb so it doesn't seem like it would be clogged. Come to think of it,
it ran better with the old carb I took off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary H wrote:

How do I check compression on a small engine? I have a compression
gauge for cars. Will it work?

If it fits in the spark plug hole...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Gary H wrote:

How do I check compression on a small engine? I have a compression
gauge for cars. Will it work?

If it fits in the spark plug hole...

Problem solved. I didn't have the carb to engine gasket on right and it was
leaking. It runs like a top now.