Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn Mower Overflow

Hi

My gas lawn mower was working fine till last week. I found that it was
short of oil, so I added some and was mowed for another couple opf
weeks. This week, when I tried to turn it on, there was oil spill below
the engine and mower is not turning on. Is this overflow or did I do
something really stupid? If it is overflow, please advise how to fix
it. Thanks. Tom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If oil is pouring out not from a leak, or oil level is up and flows out
when you remove the cap to check it, your Float is likely stuck , if
that happens gas enters the motor, diluting the oil, ruining the engine.
Rebuild carb, or simply put a 1$ inline gas stutoff valve in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

m Ransley wrote:
If oil is pouring out not from a leak, or oil level is up
and flows out when you remove the cap to check it, your
Float is likely stuck , if that happens gas enters the
motor, diluting the oil, ruining the engine. Rebuild carb,
or simply put a 1$ inline gas stutoff valve in.

What the fffff....? Troll? That makes no sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This a very common problem. When the carburetor fails to stop the gas flow
for what ever reason, the gas will run out of the tank, through the top
part of the carburetor and seep past the piston and end up in the base. The
result is an overflow of oil/gas which is diluted to the point that it does
not lubricate any more and the cylinder walls are washed down and the motor
will pack it in. Reasons for this could be a stuck float, stuck needle
valve, leaky float, dirt under the needle valve, worn needle valve or seat
and I could go on and on. The usual fix is a carburetor kit which includes a
new needle valve. If the seat is worn a carburetor replacement may be
needed. If you don't want to spend the money for a new carburetor, you can
install a shut off valve on the gas line for use when the motor is not in
use. When it is running the gas is being burned and rarely leaks.
"Pop" wrote in message
m Ransley wrote:
If oil is pouring out not from a leak, or oil level is up
and flows out when you remove the cap to check it, your
Float is likely stuck , if that happens gas enters the
motor, diluting the oil, ruining the engine. Rebuild carb,
or simply put a 1$ inline gas stutoff valve in.

What the fffff....? Troll? That makes no sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
If oil is pouring out not from a leak, or oil level is up
and flows out when you remove the cap to check it, your
Float is likely stuck , if that happens gas enters the
motor, diluting the oil, ruining the engine. Rebuild carb,
or simply put a 1$ inline gas stutoff valve in.

What the fffff....? Troll? That makes no sense.

Yep, happened to me on a one year old rider (18 HP Briggs).
Fortunately so much gas poured in that it hydro locked and clued me in
rather than running with a crankcase of diluted oil. The starter would
grunt but couldn't turn it over. Mucho fun draining everything (no
convenient gas drain), no shut off, crankcase full, cylinder full.
Touchy part was pulling the plug and hitting the starter to empty the
cumbustion chamber. I made sure the plug was well shielded and not
grounded. Installed a shut-off after the clean-up. Just have to
remember to shut it off when finished using.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

The usual fix is a carburetor kit which includes a
new needle valve. If the seat is worn a carburetor replacement may be
needed.
If you take notice, the carb manafold runs downward to the intake
valve. If they had reversed the exhaust/intake ports the fuel overflow
would not be as serious a problem. Maybe a little different problem
but wouldn't contaminate the oil.
The float needle valve seat is simply a rubber O-ring type of thing.
Very replaceable. I put a shut off valve on the fuel line as a quick
fix rather than removing the carb. Then I reasoned a blast of air into
the fuel line would plow the bugger out of there. I removed the float
bowl, float and needle valve. Then I put a clean white rag below the
carb and let blast. Sure enough, heard a pop and there it was in the
rag. The replacement rubber seat for my engine had a right and wrong
side for installation. It is a PIA getting the new one fully seated.