Using auto painting shop to paint your kitchen cabinets

Old July 4th 06, 02:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using auto painting shop to paint your kitchen cabinets

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen cabinets
to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This is a
serious question!

Old July 4th 06, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

baking2000 wrote:
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen cabinets
to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This is a
serious question!

The materials they work with would not be the best for doing kitchen
cabinets. The equipment may not be the best either. In any case I suggest
that you find a shop that does cabinets.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 4th 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"baking2000" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen cabinets
to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This is a
serious question!

Cool! You'll end up with metallic ocean mist over midnight ebony-- with pin
stripes.

Old July 4th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Li

If your kitchen cabinets were metal, this would work great. I've had
lamps, antique metal beds refinished this way and it lasts forever. The
processes they use are not recommended for wooden objects.

Old July 4th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"baking2000" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen cabinets
to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This is a
serious question!

I saw a decorator's kitchen who had her kitchen cabinets painted by a friend
at an auto body shop using car paint. They looked very rich compared to the
original "builder's special" look that they originally had.

Old July 4th 06, 04:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"baking2000" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen cabinets
to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This is a
serious question!

I saw a decorator's kitchen who had her kitchen cabinets painted by a
friend
at an auto body shop using car paint. They looked very rich compared to
the
original "builder's special" look that they originally had.

They should look beter as the car paint is around $ 100 to $ 200 per gallon
vers the $ 20 or so for house paint.

Old July 4th 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"baking2000" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen
cabinets to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This
is a serious question!

I saw a decorator's kitchen who had her kitchen cabinets painted by a
friend
at an auto body shop using car paint. They looked very rich
compared to the
original "builder's special" look that they originally had.

They should look beter as the car paint is around $ 100 to $ 200 per
gallon vers the $ 20 or so for house paint.

Unfortunately more money does not always mean more quality, especially
if the product is not stable for the use.

I am not saying it would not work well, but rather that I personally
would have my doubts.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 4th 06, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

An auto shop would do a good job, but you want a product that stands up
to oils and abrasions, maybe auto paint is not the best, contact 3m,
Dupont, for their product advise. See if Sherwin Williams has automobile
paints, best is ask a manufacturer that makes both. Now if it is wood,
you need paint that expands and contracts, paint for specificly wood
cabinets that hold up to oils and hands, auto paint may be to hard and
crack and look bad in a year.

Old July 4th 06, 06:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
An auto shop would do a good job, but you want a product that stands up
to oils and abrasions, maybe auto paint is not the best, contact 3m,
Dupont, for their product advise. See if Sherwin Williams has automobile
paints, best is ask a manufacturer that makes both. Now if it is wood,
you need paint that expands and contracts, paint for specificly wood
cabinets that hold up to oils and hands, auto paint may be to hard and
crack and look bad in a year.

there are specific places for cabinets, my neighbor at work is one such,
familiar with the paints and processes.

Biggest issue is that all auto paints are gloss, while most home
finishes are some matte etc, which is actually a trickty little
deal[paint is naturally glossy and needs additives to be 'flat'
Old July 5th 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Automotive paint is for cars. (period) It is very brittle and will chip
if used on wood. I refinish pinball playfields and some guys perfer
automotive clear because it dries real quick and has a deep finish,
however, it will get spider web stress cracks and chip, if not properly
done and mixed. I use water based poly with superior results, but it
takes days for this stuff to dry before I can sand it, but this stuff
is durable. With all the types of paint on the market I am sure you can
find a paint that will suit your needs. I am not a "paint guru" but
polys and epoxies are super strong, durable and work well on wood. If
you have metal cabinets you can find a real professional painter/metal
refinisher to do a spray on electro static paint job that will look
better than factory. I have seen them refinish lab cabinets that look
like a factory finish and they do them in place, with zip over spray.

J. Clarke wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

baking2000 wrote:
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen cabinets
to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This is a
serious question!

The materials they work with would not be the best for doing kitchen
cabinets. The equipment may not be the best either. In any case I
suggest that you find a shop that does cabinets.

For some reason I'm thinking that polyurethane clearcoat would be a superb
finish for kitchen cabinets--using an automotive shop addresses the big
objection to using a 2K polyurethane, which is the specialized equipment
required to do it without wasting a huge amount of expensive coating.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate