Posted to alt.home.repair

Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is such a thing as a hard start capacitor, for cases where...you
guess it...it is hard to start. There are different types of start
mechanisms, can't say if a hard start would fit in your application,
but its worth a try. You should probably check for continuity between
the compressor contacts. And open winding would condemn your machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Jul 2006 16:44:00 -0700, "almosthandy"
wrote:

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My fridge was warranted for 5 years and went out last month with
exactly the same symptoms as yours at 5 1/2 years.

You have a device on your compressor called a start/overheat relay.
It is broken and needs replacing. I got one on Ebay for $22 including
shipping. I also bought a couple of generic start kits for $10 each.

The repairman will likely want about $500 to repair the fridge. You
can pick up a new side by side at Fry's for $600.

Posted to alt.home.repair

almosthandy wrote:
I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Model#?

compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens

Low voltage, bad start relay, bad compressor can cause the compressor
to try to start but shut off on the built in safety overload.

http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking

I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help

A run capacitor?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like either a hard start kit will do it, or maybe the
compressor is beyond repair.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"almosthandy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimL: is this right what the manual calls a controller which connects
to the compressor? the controller looks like black square which also
has the capacitor right on its top.
Thanks.
wrote:

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My fridge was warranted for 5 years and went out last month with
exactly the same symptoms as yours at 5 1/2 years.

You have a device on your compressor called a start/overheat relay.
It is broken and needs replacing. I got one on Ebay for $22 including
shipping. I also bought a couple of generic start kits for $10 each.

The repairman will likely want about $500 to repair the fridge. You
can pick up a new side by side at Fry's for $600.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, my kenmore/whirlpool book side by side used start overheat
relay combo.

"Refrigerator Compressor
2003 Sears Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator made by
Frigidaire(Model#25352642300): Not cooling at all, the compressor just
humms loud for about 10 seconds, then kicks off on the overload
switch. The compressor is locked-up.
Compressor kit with start ptc, run capacitor & drier
Part#5303918298
"

The above was what I thought was the problem. That is expensive.

Turns out that it was the overheat sensor broken which prevented the
start relay from operating. That is cheap.

Mine doesn't use a capacitor at all.