Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Modrall

Default removing basement carpet

Joey wrote:
Mark,

Home Depot rents a scraper that you walk behind to take care of this
job. Well worth the money and easy on the back.

Thanks for the response... What should I be asking for, specifically?
I was up at a Home Depot yesterday, and the guy in flooring insisted up
and down that they wouldn't rent one of their floor sanders to do
concrete and that there was no mechanical scraper. He pointed me to
what was, essentially, a large paint scraper on a stick and said that
was the best they had.

I pressed a little more, then he took me to the adhesive remover, though
as a prior poster responded, it has warnings up and down about how toxic
it is and how you have to have super ventilation to use it.

I also asked about epoxy or some such to fill a hairline crack (on
another thread, someone mentioned Sika Flex (sp?) also supposed to be
available at Home Depot) but the guy insisted that didn't exist either.
He suggested using spackle.

So far I'm using the wire brush, and while I'm getting most of the mold
and backing up it is a lot of work and it doesn't seem to get to the
adhesive. If I know what machine to ask for, it would be nice to be
more thorough and save my back

Thanks
-Mark