swamp cooler motor problem

Old June 29th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default swamp cooler motor problem

I am having a problem with my swamp cooler. Just this season, when
the fan is on "high" (I only have 2 settings), it will all of the
sudden slow down to low (for 5-30 seconds) and then speed back up again

to high. This has never happened before and I have lived in the house
for 3 summers. I do the maintenance myself, but I didn't notice
anything untoward when I was setting up the cooler this spring. It
sounds like it might be the motor and/or bearings? But how do I find
out? And is it easy to replace the motor? Thanks!!

Old June 29th 06, 04:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Your motor might be drawing too many amperes, but those motors usually
just die for awhile, 'til the overload circuit cools. If there's an
adjustable pulley on the motor shaft, try to open it up a little. If
this is beyond your ken, go to a hardware store to look at an
adjustable pully. It's got a setscrew that needs to be loosened to turn
the outer bevel of the pulley on its threads, then retightened. Piece
of cake to replace a motor if necessary. You might need a gear puller
to re-use the pulley from the old motor. Love the word "untoward". Tom

Old June 29th 06, 07:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"bearmd" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having a problem with my swamp cooler. Just this season, when
the fan is on "high" (I only have 2 settings), it will all of the
sudden slow down to low (for 5-30 seconds) and then speed back up again

to high. This has never happened before and I have lived in the house
for 3 summers. I do the maintenance myself, but I didn't notice
anything untoward when I was setting up the cooler this spring. It
sounds like it might be the motor and/or bearings? But how do I find
out? And is it easy to replace the motor? Thanks!!

Are you sure it not the belt slipping?

Al